1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK......baseball rules experts.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

I have umpired for 18 years, and have never in my life seen this.

High School Baseball Game

I'm behind the plate.

Runners at 2nd and 3rd; 1 out.

Backstop is a mere 4 steps behind me.....

Pitch gets by the catcher, rolls into the on-deck circle for batting team, in which the on-deck batter (whose head is firmly entrenched in his ass) starts fucking around with the ball......i.e. kicked it with his foot and tapped it with his bat..........

What's the call?

Give me your thoughts, and in a few minutes, I'll tell you what I called.

EDIT: Runner at 3rd was coming home, and runner at 2nd was going to 3rd.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess it's some sort of obstruction or interference call and the runner has to go back to third.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Does catcher have a legit shot at getting either runner? If so, I say interference and they go back. If not, they advance a base.

But I'd err on sending them back.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

I did call interference, but I also called the runner out coming home from third.

I don't think you can have offensive interference/obstruction without a player being out.

5. I've never umpired before, but I'd guess player interference and possible charge an out to the team? Runners retreat back to their respected bases.

Edit: Just saw you posted your answer....I'm happy I was close.

6. Oh, and if I may ask a question of my own: In Minor League Baseball, if a game never gets started and is postponed...how many innings will each game last in the double header?

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If it were lower than high school, I'd just call it a dead ball, as if the ball went into the dugout. But in a varsity high school game, kid should know not to purposefully interfere with a ball in play. I don't know that I'd go so far as to penalize with an out, but I'd make sure his team didn't benefit with any runners advancing on the play.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Goldglove, I think the teams have the option of playing two seven-inning games if both managers agree. I know that's how it is with NCAA games when there's a doubleheader.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I might be making this up, but isn't the on-deck circle considered not part of the playing field? I think that scenario results in a no-play, like if the ball bounced into the stands. But maybe there is a judgment call on the on-deck batter's intent to interfere.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think that's right. A wild pitch on a third strike tonight hit a bat laying in the on-deck circle and they didn't call it a dead ball.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

But...let's say someone throws a ball into the stands (for example) on a throw to first........the runner advances one base. Dead ball yes, but it's one base.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, that's true. What we need here is some kind of umpire. Know any? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted