1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio State - Penn State beat World Series Game 3 in the ratings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 29, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Texas-Texas Tech is not run-of-the-mill either.

I didn't introduce the phrase; you did. Wrong phrase.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And this is what makes college football so great.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Conveniently forgetting the fact that the TAMPA BAY RAYS just finished competing in this year's World Series. And the COLORADO ROCKIES were in last year's.

And that in 1975 the Houston Astros had just finished their 14th consecutive season of not sniffing the playoffs by posting their worst record in that span. Wonder what their fans felt.

And that the San Diego Padres had just posted their seventh consecutive horrid season after joining the league. It would be nine more years before they made the playoffs. Wonder how optimistic their fans were.

And that the Montreal Expos had been allowed to join the league along with the Padres but not allowed to compete. Their optimistic fans had yet to see a winning season and were a year away from a 55-win team.

And that the Chicago Cubs were, what, 70 years removed from a World Series title and 30 years removed from their last playoff experience. But they were the Loveable Losers!

And ... and ... and ... there would be plenty more ands if I cared to go on. We'll just let you continue to spout, and then use facts to prove you wrong.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Judging by the fact that the 1975 World Series got a 28.7 rating and a 52 share, I'm going to suppose the Astros fans were wondering if Fisk's fly ball would land fair or foul.

5. TheSportsPredictor

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Sweet. I said '75, not '53, but you congratulate yourself on being cute if you like.
    Meanwhile, I'll point out that in 1990, before the Yankees' cable deal exploded and changed the economic landscape of baseball, the Reds/As drew a 36 share. That's what baseball used to be.
    And we had plenty of entertainment options in 1990.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bullshit. The TV ratings landscape was completely different in 1990, and nothing close to what it was in 1975. You're using numbers that don't bear any comparison to today's reality.

8. TheSportsPredictor

When I said Babe Ruth, you said 1953. Why are you trying to have it both ways?

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You're right, Buck.
    The change in the TV ratings landscape has crippled the Super Bowl lately.

10. TheSportsPredictor

A legit comparison would be between other seven-game playoff series, not to a one-off event. But that's not to be expected from someone who doesn't understand what he's talking about.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, and one night of Super Bowl ratings is comparable to multiple World Series games that stretches over 5-10 days ... how? Geez, talk about moving the damn goalposts. ::)

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Nice try, Buck.
    We're only talking about the relevance of TV ratings for a major event (World Series) to today's numbers.
    The average rating for the multi-game World Series has dropped off the table, from 40 percent of the country to about 15.
    The Super Bowl has not dipped. It has maintained or increased its natioanl relevance, while MLB sold its to the Yanks and the Sawks.

Draft saved Draft deleted