1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh ***T, I need some quick help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 14, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So The Queen just called.

Today is our 30th anniversary. That's right, been married longer than most of you have been alive. I've detailed the 22 on Friday, graduate on Saturday, married on Sunday weekend before.
    Here's where I need help:
    We celebrated Mother's Day on Sunday with our son (daughter working) and I gave her a Mother's Day and anniversary gift then. We did the birthday thing on Monday and she gave me a birthday and anniversary gift. We agreed those would be our celebrations, that the middle of the work week thing didn't work well and all so this would suffice. Fine by me.

This call just made it clear that it really isn't fine by her, even though it was HER idea.

Shit.

She's not at her school today, so the usual send-flowers-to-work and impress her co-workers stunt won't work.
    I can't afford to go out and buy a bunch of pearls (yes, I checked. 30 is pearl).
    The Nats are on TV and I don't want to go out to dinner again.

This is hopeless, isn't it?

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Serves you right for not knowing women a lick after 30 years.

How about some pearl earrings?

4. Moderator1

Guilty. The wonder is how I ever managed to stay married 30 years.

A nice digital picture frame, which is what she said she wanted, and now I have to find ear rings, too?

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Get creative with the pearl idea. Just because 30 is pearls doesn't mean it has to be a pearl necklace. There are all sorts of inexpensive gifts out there that would fit in with the pearl theme. I'm not in a store right this minute, so I'm just throwing ideas out there. How about a picture frame with pearl embellishments on it. Or a blouse that has decorative pearl buttons. You see where I'm going with this?

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Seconded. Good luck, and may the force be with you, Senor Moddy.

7. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Heh-heh. He said "pearl necklace."

<speaking for sophomoric juveniles everywhere>

8. Moderator1

I'm kind of liking the pearl necklace idea.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I will so not sink to the level I normally would because of my respect for you, Moddy.

but yes, I believe you're screwed.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yowza!

I have a newfound respect for you for making that joke, Mods.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

5 minutes in and not a single dirty pearl necklace joke.

This place is slipping.

EDIT: Nevermind. Four such posts in the time it took me to write that. This place is rebounding nicely.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Since you and her were so giddy about Big Brown (well, she was giddy AFTER he won, typical gambler's wife), buy her a Preakness ticket on BB at the 1-5 or otherwise ghastly odds he'll have. Nothing says love like a mutuel ticket.

Draft saved Draft deleted