1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh say can you see

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KJIM, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This one's pretty good too.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The anthem should only be played before international sporting events. It actually serves some sort of purpose in that regard.

3. Yankee Stadium used to play America the Beautiful instead on occasion back in the 1980s. They still might do it, but it's been a while since I saw a regular season game there.

4. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

And even though I'm Jewish, when I attend a Catholic wedding I ALWAYS receive communion. Don't want to offend anybody.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Really? Blonde, I'd be shocked if you would offend anyone for not receiving Communion. Frankly you are not supposed to receive it if you haven't gone through the previous sacraments and if you haven't recently confessed. It's for that reason that I don't take Communion at wedding Mass.

6. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I learned while covering an American Legion regional baseball tournament -- from the American Legion national president, no less -- you are NOT supposed to cheer at the end of the Star Spangled Banner. It should be treated like a church psalm, with solemnity.

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

No, not really. I was joking. Nor should I have to stand if someone comes over a loud speaker at a public event and starts delivering a Christian invocation.

8. I've always thought there should be more cheering in churches.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This was always my favorite.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh say, can you see, my eyes? If you can, then my hair's too short!

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I saw that two weeks ago at the NIT semifinals in New York. No big deal, really.
    As for the anthem, both of my grandfathers and my father served in the US military, so I stand, hand over heart, facing the flag, as a measure of respect.
    I can't stand people who talk during the anthem. It's two minutes, and even if you have an early deadline, budget your time so you can show some class and respect.
    In my neck of the woods, people in the crowd sing the anthem softly at my major D-I school. That's fine, too.
    I'm not the most patriotic or right-wing person, but give respect where it's due.

12. Take a bow, Bat.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted