1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ogden hires Perrotto

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Not sure if this has been posted, but longtime Beaver County Times reporter John Perrotto left the paper after 20 years on the Pirates beat (Bought out or axed or left of own volition? I don't know.) and will now be the beat writer for the notorious Ogden chain, who also own the Pirates. His new gig is called "Pirates Report."

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/17/sports/pirates/doc4972b550969b7434452445.txt

Will he be more hamstrung than MLB.com's reporter or does he have a Sam Smith-like deal (Smith writes for bulls.com now)?

Are the Nuttings so optimistic about the Buccos that they'll be staffing all Pirates games? Perrotto is reporting from Bradenton, so maybe the Buccos will have four reporters traveling, until they're 20 games out in June.

Does this mean the Wheeling News-Register will be able to put out a 2009 retrospective book titled: Sweet Seventeen! Pirates break MLB record! (Yours for $39.95)?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm just happy to read a thread with the word "hire" in it.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Congrats to John. A great guy and a great reporter.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Amazing... The Ogdens are cheap and petty and now this... Never thought I'd see this...

5. yep

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

John's an awesome guy. He helped me out a couple years ago, and he convinced me he was happy to do it.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

8. blogismycopilot

blogismycopilot New Member

perrotto is good people. good to see some of the displaced landing back on their feet.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This will not end well. The Pirates are headed for major suckage in 2009, and he's writing for the papers owned by the people who own the team?

How many times can you write, "Yeah, they lost again and they blow, but just wait 'til Pedro Alvarez gets here?"

10. ArchStanton

ArchStanton New Member

He's covering the Cleveland Indians too.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Pirates and the Indians.
    Why do Ogdens hate people so much?

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

He's just a great dude all around.

Draft saved Draft deleted