1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How much stock is everyone putting in the "next year's free agent crop is bigger than this year's, so we're not spending" theory?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Temporarily focusing on rebuilding through the farm system, then taking on salary once you are ready to contend is fine. Skipping the part where you ever spend is the issue.

The Pirates had a window. They chose to keep cutting costs when it was open.

The Astros have a window. They took on Verlander last year and Cole now.

I understand that the baseball apologists don't like it, but the Astros aren't the answer to the argument that you so desperately want them to be.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think you're seeing the effect of the luxury tax. If you spend a bunch this year you could run into problems next year and if you go over multiple years, you really start to feel it. Considering who is up next year, I can see trying to save your money.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Astros have been in the Top 10 in payroll once, maybe twice, since 1998.

They are ahead of the Pirates most every year, sure, but they are not "willing to continually put resources into the club," as Cole claims.

Yes, unlike the Pirates they appear to be building on success rather than letting it peter out. They still remain outside the Top 10 in payrolls heading into the 2018 season.

I object to Cole's characterization of the Astros commitment to putting resources into the club. Definitely more committed than the Pirates. But not as committed as one would think.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I put a lot of stock in it.

After Darvish, which pitcher would/should you give a monster contract to?
    After JD Martinez, which hitter would/should you give a monster contract to?

Why spend a shitload on an Eric Hosmer when you can spend like 15 mil more and get a Harper or a Machado, a Kershaw or a Blackmon or a Donaldson? To say nothing of Andrew Miller or Craig Kimbrel or Zach Britton or Cody Allen or A.J. Pollock or Daniel Murphy as second-tier guys?

Carlos Santana got 3 for 60 million and he turns 32 basically on opening day. He hit .259 with 23 homers and an OBP of .363, had an OPS+ of 112 and 3.4 WAR.

The report is Martinez got offered five for 100 -- that would tie him for 9th in highest average salary and be the 4th highest for a position player, behind Cabrera, Heyward and Pujols. And you wonder why teams are scared to give big, long term deals.
    The report is Hosmer got offered 7 for 147

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think Cole's statement was meant more as a shot at the Pirates. He has seen how both franchises react to being in contention. The Pirates continued to cut salary, scuttling a good team before they finished building it. The Astros went out and got an expensive big name in the trade for Verlander, then added more in the offseason.

They don't have to be in the top 10 to be committed, but you do have to hold on to the players you do develop and add a key piece here and there. So far after the rebuild, the Astros are doing that.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That all makes sense to me. The Red Sox need a cleanup bat very badly and are certainly not trying to sweep Martinez off his feet.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And here's the thing about the Red Sox -- if you add Martinez specifically, where does he play? You have to find a taker for Hanley, and there won't really be one because everybody knows that's the only guy they want to get rid of. And the Red Sox are already paying $30 million in dead money in 2018. How much of Hanley's 23 mil will they have to cover? It's like the Yankees with Ellsbury. Bradley would be the next one on that list -- I don't think they are getting rid of Benitendi or Betts from the outfield.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They've had offers for Bradley, but none they like. I think they are overvaluing him, but he does have those spurts of brilliance. When he's your player, it's easier to remember those than the player's norm.

Draft saved Draft deleted