1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Official" Wimbledon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And we have live tennis!!! Serena even.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Well Marat has proven that when he's not...being Marat...he will not back down from the king. Of course if he's being Marat the third round is 50/50 at best. And that sucks because Marat brings the women with him.

Meanwhile I'm still hoping he takes my suggestion and uses a major to run his own version of "The Bachelor" and brings like 8 of his finest women to a tournament and lets the crowd vote them off after each round.

Didn't someone offer one of his ex'es beaucoup money for her hand in marriage?

3. sportschick

Marat's been being Marat all year, so I doubt the Marat I want to see is at Wimbledon.

I'd watch his version of The Bachelor. Man truly pulls proveably hot, demonstrably hot chicks :D

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

While most men of his status pull dime pieces, he's pulling quarters.

Did you hear anything about the ex being offered the money? It was the Aussie Open circa 2005 one. The really really, unspeakably hot one.

5. sportschick

I haven't heard that. Wouldn't surprise me. She remains one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Go Tim Go!

Give me some kind of hope!

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I always pull for Tim. Seems like a good, classy guy, and (gasp!) he actually comes to net a lot.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Wow, Centre Court looks a lot different without the roof.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And at 5-5 in the fifth set, and Henman missing out on 4 match points on Moya's serve, they're off for the night.

Tim should have closed it out there. Hopefully he can come back tomorrow and finish it off.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

That's a helluva time to stop.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What hurts Roddick is his matter-of-fact demeanor in post-match interviews. How do I put this…he's already ready to be a TV announcer. His statements after losing in the French - that he played pretty well and executed his gameplan - sound like that of some tennis hound who scours the grid for tough draws. Could you imagine the world's number 3 golfer saying that? <i> Well, I missed the cut, but then again it's the U.S. Open, the setup really doesn't suit me as well it does a guy like Jeff Maggert </i>

Do I want to see Roddick turn into Serena Williams? (whose post-game loss interviews seem to fixate on how badly she played, as if she can't <i> really </i> be beaten if she doesn't beat herself). No. But he should win Wimbledon. On this surface, he can beat Federer, darn near did once, and will ten more cracks at a title.

While we're at it, a thought about Federer, a player I really like and enjoy watching. However... is the guy really the best of all time, or playing in a fortunate era? If we cast our gaze back, say to 1990-1995 or so, and he's in a pool with Sampras, Agassi, Goran, Becker, Stich, Courier, Edberg…that gang. How many Grand Slams does he have then?

12. John

John Well-Known Member

A very good point about the era. I think Federer would still have about 8 Slams, but he'd have to work a lot harder to reach the finals than he has to now. I also think that the players from the early 90s played smarter tennis than most of the guys do now, and were capable of producing a Plan B in a match, which I don't see much of today.

Draft saved Draft deleted