1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Summer Movie Thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just saw Cars, which was very, very good... Easily the best movie of the summer. It's not on the level of The Incredibles or Shrek 2, but it's very, very well done...

I've been colossally disappointed by most of the movies this summer...

Here are my grades for all the movies I've seen recently...

1. Cars - A-
    2. The Devil Wears Prada - B+
    3. Over the Hedge - B-
    4. Da Vinci Code - C+
    5. Superman Returns - C+
    6. Mission Impossible 3 - C
    7. Poseidon - D
    8. The Break-Up - D-

Thank You for Smoking is the best movie I've seen so far this year.

I'd be curious to hear other thoughts on what else is out there...

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

X-Men 3 was about what I expected, a lot of shit blew up and they mutilated the Dark Phoenix storyline.

The Omen was quite good, nothing wrong with a virtual remake of a classic film. The packed theatre I was in was full of Omen rookies who jumped from their seats multiple times as I laughed with joy at how close to the original it was.

The Da Vinci Code was strange, because I kept waiting for it to bore me, and it never did. Not sure what people were expecting; more car chases, perhaps? But I found it to be very interesting.

Thank You for Smoking was excellent. Too bad The Hubbard cult won't let Ms. Holmes do anymore roles where she's attractive.

I plan to see Cars. Knew Poseidon, Mission Impossible, Break-Up, etc. are as big a waste of time as fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift will be just by watching the previews.

On that note: who in the hell was clamoring for another fast and the furious movie?

3. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

U.S. Box Office take:

The Fast & The Furious: $144 million
    2 Fast 2 Furious: $127 million

I thought the first one was terrible, didn't bother with the second, but somebody's watching them.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Lowest common denominator + summertime + movie about fast cars and hot chicks = box office gold

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Saw Cars this weekend. Fun movie, lots of good NASCAR cameos, but who decided to make an animated movie 2 hours and 10 minutes long? Saw lots and lots of kids sleeping through the second half, or leaving early. Especially when it takes four years to make a movie like that, the Pixar folks could use a few less animators and maybe some ... editors?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Funny you say that...I was at my father-in-law's today and his girlfriend's daughter was saying she loved Cars but her 3-year-old son had a hard time sitting thru it. They got there well in advance, sat thru 20 minutes of previews and then 2 hours and 15 minutes. It's tough to get a kid to sit still for three hours.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"I was at my father-in-law's today and his girlfriend's daughter was saying she loved Cars but her 3-year-old son."

OK ... trying to ballpark your age from this line ... brain cramped up just as I was getting close. I miss word problems ..

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

ahahahaha I realized how convoluted that sounded as I wrote it. But every word is true! Here's to my in-laws getting divorced after 25 years of marriage...and my father-in-law for moving in with another woman within like two months of the breakup.

And you may be a newbie, but the Y in BYH is quite the misnomer. :-\

9. I also watched Cars this weekend and within five minutes of the movie started: my four-year-old looks at me and says, "Is it over yet."

On the other hand my 8-year-old didn't move a muscle (NOT ONE BATHROOM TRIP). Usually three or four breaks during a movie. But both of us liked the movie.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Funny. That's EXACTLY what I said in the first five minutes of Armageddon...the only movie so bad it made my stomach hurt.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thank You For Smoking was brilliantly subversive. I don't think there's another movie coming out this year that will top it.

That said, I am looking forward to Nacho Libre and Superman Returns.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But are you getting it?

Draft saved Draft deleted