1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Summer Movie Thread... Are they all going to suck?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 26, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You are out of line and I'll tell you why.

I posted an opinion about a movie that I think is not only worth watching but probably has Oscar potential. And I get this response:

And then I get this dullard response:
    Piss standing up?

Make old ladies cry?

That's the response of an adult?

Tell you what. Go see the fucking movie. And then get back to me.

In the meantime don't lecture me about "simple entertainment"

I get it.

Mostly it's for simpletons.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My point about condescending went right over your head, eh?

Frankly, I have no interest in a movie recommended by you. I'm sure you will use that to call me a simpleton or some other bullshit, but I realize that I just don't have the same taste as a certain pretentious poster on this particular board. :)

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I went to see Shrek 3 tonight and was very disappointed.

Numerous dead spots. Forced and slow. There were a few spots with good laughs, but overall, in comparison to the first two, it was weak.

The animation was very well done, but it seemed that's where the attention was put instead of the writing.

4. The new Luc Besson flick ( "Angel-a") opened in New York and El Lay this weekend. I saw it several weeks back via the French DVD (I'm one of those lucky souls who has been able to turn off the region code programming on my DVD player). It's his best since "Leon" (cut and released in the US as "The Professional")...sort of a funnier, sweeter "Leon" with less action and elements of "It's a Wonderful Life" thrown in for good measure. Definitely not Oscar material but probably better than 90% of the studio releases this year. There's definitely far worse ways to spend 90 minutes of your life.

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I think when the summer is over the Simpsons movie will be THE movie everyone's talking about.
    Great writing makes for great movies, especially animated ones. The Simpsons writers are the best comedy writers out there and they've been doing it for more than a decade.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Great, great post. Dead on.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

JR, start a thread about small, arthouse releases that are not getting enough attention. We dullards will stay here.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bring a boatload of caffeine because if not, you'll be snoozing...

10. I think the phony proletarian outrage, and the "piss standing up" attempts at humor, and the "you're just an elitist" are the least compelling arguments on this site ever.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Seen 20 minutes of Transformers...it will finish behind Shrek and Spidey as the no. 3 movie of the summer. It's funny and pretty intense.

But then again, I liked Spidey 3 and really enjoyed Pirates last night.

My favorite movie of the year remains "The Lookout."

Fracture is still in theaters and it's worth a look if you wanna movie that doesn't involved ear-splitting bombs.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Right behind commenting about them.

Draft saved Draft deleted