1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Summer Movie Thread... Are they all going to suck?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 26, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was Pirates 2 a July 4 release last year? I think it was...

If memory serves, both Men in Blacks, Independence Day (duh) were all July 4 releases and I think Armageddon was as well...

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you want to see an adult movie, go see "Away From Her" with Julie Christe, Olympia Dukakis and Gordon Pinsent.

Written and directed by the wunderkind 28 year old Sarah Polley.

Movie's based on a short story by Alice Munro, "The Bear Came Over The Mountain".

An absolutely lovely movie.

Here's the Rolling Stone review:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/12089764/review/14197251/away_from_her

It may only be playing in major centres.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sarah Polley was incredibly underrated as an actress... I know it's about a decade old, but anyone who hasn't seen the movie "Go" needs to... I think it was Doug Liman's first movie after Swingers... Great film...

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are you serious?

I piss standing up. Do you?

I thought the title of these movie was "Not Dead" and it referred to the actresses.

Don't give me some cultured answer. I want to be entertained at the theater. I do not want to feel like shit. I read books and the World section of the paper for that.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"These movie"?

You're a fucking idiot. The movie is an affirmation of life.

Maybe when you get out of high school and grow up, you'll find out there's more to movies than Shrek 3 and things blowing up.

But then I did say it was an "adult movie"

Christ, we have a new member of the SportsJournalists.com Retard Club.

6. 93Devil

My bad on the typo. No excuse for that one.

As for the rest...

The title of the thread is "summer movie." This defines a certain type and style of movie. I'm guessing you do not need a definition of what a "summer movie" is do you? I'm sure that movie you stated will make a few old ladies cry, but it does not belong on this thread. That is why I ripped it.

When people ask you who is the greatest athlete of all time, you can assume that they are referring to the popular sports. I'm sure there is some great rugby player from New Zealand, but he does need to be brought up in the conversation.

When people ask you what your favorite current song is, Wolfgang Amadeus does not need to be brought up because you heard it on the radio coming to work.

I have three college degrees framed and hanging from three different institutions. Trust me, I am not an idiot. I just know the audience that is reading what I type, and what they are interested in reading.

This all said, that movie was playing next door to a Chinese restaurant I ate at last week. I shit you not.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Rocket Richard movie is playing in Manhattan. For those members of CanadaSportsJournalists.com who saw it, is it worth the price of admission?

8. Go rocks. One of my favorite movies of all time. How cheesey am I? :D

9. Just saw the trailer for Evan Almighty. I think there's definite potential it will be better than the first, which had some funny moments ...

10. Here's the thing about Transformers.

Is it going to be a good FILM? Hell no.

But it has the potential to be an outstanding movie, because even if it has no plot and terrible acting, it'll be 2 hours of giant robots beating the fuck out of each other.

EDIT: Anyone seen 28 weeks later? Does that count as a summer movie? I heard it was good and liked the original.

11. 93Devil

The Wire is great. Entourage is entertaining.

I think anything that you can see in most movie theaters during the summer qualifies. No need to over think it.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

I saw Zodiac in the Ziegfeld in NYC, maybe twenty people in that giant theater for a matinee, and I loved it.

Christ, the scene by the lake still pops into my head out of nowhere.

I liked Death Proof from Grindhouse. I'll see 28 Weeks Later soon. I wanted to see The Hoax but it never came to town. Other than that, not a lot I'm fussed about.

Draft saved Draft deleted