1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Memorial Day cookout running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 27, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

gotcha, but i do think it's ribs and chicken ... but i will make a quick run to the store for you xan.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Haved two beautiful thick NY Strips from Whole Foods in the fridge waiting for the grill today.
    Asparagus will also go on and if I wasn't on Atkins, I'd be grilling... wait for it... pierogies... tried it the other day and its wonderful as long as you butter them, season and put on the top shelf...

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

slap --

If you have some, try drizzling just a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar on that asaparagus when it comes off the grill.

Good stuff...

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lamb.

Handsdown my favourite meat.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

By properly, do you mean indirect heat? That's what I do, but it is harder to do that on a gas grill.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Insert your own joke here.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Turn off the burner on one side of the grill (assuming you have dual controls) and put the chicken on that side. Put the other side on medium low and close the cover.

Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about this.

Just out of curiosity, is everything pretty much closed down there on Memorial Day?

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Someone please throw a turkey burger on for me... I'm adding to my Year Without Holidays.

And Moddy, if the grill works (and isn't just a giant doorstop) list it on Craigslist for a few bucks. The grill we had in college was someone's castoff, and we loved it.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There is a grocery store here that for some reason periodically sells lamb chops cheap, like $4.99 per pound. I've often wondered if there's a sheep farm around here and they get the ones that get run over crossing the road. Anyway, we get to eat them about once a month. I let them sit for a half hour in olive oil, rosemary, garlic and then add salt and pepper before I drop on hot grill. Because of the oil, they get crusty exterior while staying medium-rare inside.

I was at a fancy alumni cocktail party a few years ago and they served lamb chops as an hors d'oeuvre. I never had thought of lamb chops as a finger food before. But there we were, decked out in suits in a club rented from Ivy League alumni in a large city, and I was talking to one of my classmates, a lawyer, as lamb juice ran down our sleeves. "Jesus, these are so fucking good," he said. Screw the cheese and crackers.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Pretty much every office is closed and service businesses (dry cleaner, mechanic, etc.) are closed. But most grocery and big box stores are open as are restaurants.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Usually, I just marinade a few minutes before hand in Ken's Steakhouse Italian with 30 Kinds of Cheese and set on the grilll...
    Have to use the balsamic vinegar when I buy some...
    I try to grind up some fresh rosemary too... the one thing that grows around here the way I want it to

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just make sure you drizzle it on at the last possible second.

Marinating with it will kill the color of the asparagus.

Draft saved Draft deleted