1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Las Vegas gathering, April 1-April 3, 2007

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jul 18, 2006.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Re: Official SportsJournalists.com Las Vegas gathering, March or April, 2007

I'm in. Definitely. ;D

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Getting large groups of us together is difficult most times of year - there's really only about a six-week window.  Most of us seem to be prep/college guys.  Other than our baseball writing crew and our racin' folks, mid June to mid July is about the only window that works.

That doesn't mean it isn't do-able.  I know this time doesn't fit into my regular sked, which is too bad because I'd love to hang with some of these folks in Vegas.  I hope it works.  I've said many times that the "official" SportsJournalists.com outing will always be a baseball weekend somewhere.  That doesn't mean groups can't get together as often as possible, anywhere scum like us gathers.

The times I've done it, officially and unofficially, have been great.  You can never have too many friends in his crazy bidness.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The third/fourth weekend in March (the non-NCAA one) would work for me, most likely. :D

Although if y'all are down for a non-Vegas outing among the westcoastSportsJournalists.commers, I would also suggest a 3-4 day weekend in Phoenix for spring training around that time of year. I pulled off this doozy of a trip myself earlier this year -- hit 5 games (four MLBX, one NHL) in 4 cities (Phoenix, Scottsdale, Peoria, Glendale) in 3 days. All within a 20-mile radius. Beautiful weather. Spring training is spring training, always a good time. Plenty of debauchery available on the strips in Peoria and Scottsdale, and probably more that I missed in downtown Phoenix. So just throwing something else out there.

But I've never been to Vegas, and this is plenty good excuse to go. :D

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

So ... is Dallas a no-go now or what?

5. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Doesn't sound like it's not happening. This is an "official gathering," a concept Idaho is starting. Moddy was the pioneer and initial host for the "official outing." The official outing required a weekend in July, a city with an MLB (not minor league affiliate) team and a willing host in said city.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

I think a minor league outting could work.
    There are some nice minor league parks, plus you figure, tickets, hotel, parking, food, ahem, alcohol, are a wee bit cheaper.
    Hey, anything to get us together is a good thing.
    If I win the lottery, I'll make any SportsJournalists.com outting.
    But til then, it may only be within a day's drive.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't the minor league outing last weekend? (I keeeeeeeed)

Man, do I love playing the role of the ugly American!

8. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

A minor league outing definitely COULD work, but as Moddy has said, it wouldn't be that year's OFFICIAL outing. There are strict guidelines.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Baseball HOF would be a good one, if it's offseason (Sept-April), it's easy to do.
    There is a Holiday Inn Express just outside village limits (I've stayed there) that has to be cheap.
    You could also do the soccer HOF, in close by Podunk, err, Oneonta.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Ragu, now that I know what you look like, that pic looks nothing like you.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Showin' some love to the Western U.S. Thanks, Modaho!

Barring any insane schedule conflicts, I'm in. Preference for a hotel near good shopping.

Anyone who doesn't want to go to Vegas is welcome to work for me as a stringer that weekend... :)

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I need both those halls to check off my list. I did the Pro Football Hall in Canton last year and the Hockey Hall during the outing. (as much as I wanted to pull a Ragu while posing with the Cup, I didn't. Anyone with photos please PM me).

Besides, I need to get back to Upstate N.Y. for a spell. I liked it when I was last there four years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted