1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Las Vegas gathering, April 1-April 3, 2007

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

We will be staying at the Palms. We got a sweet rate on a standard room -- we don't need a fancy suite on the 55th floor -- for only $42 per night via Expedia.com.

It's a bit off the strip, but the place is very nice and the rate couldn't be beat, IMO.

We will arrive Sunday, April 1 and check out Tuesday, April 3. I'm anticipating an informal dinner (restaraunt TBD, I'll call ahead and ask to have seats for however many RSVP for the dinner date) at the Palms Monday night at ~5-6 p.m. as the main event. Game tips off at 6:30 p.m. Vegas time. Also an informal dinner on Sunday night and a lunch on Monday and possibly a breakfast farewell Tuesday if anyone besides me is able to wake up before 9 a.m.

2. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Re: Official SportsJournalists.com Las Vegas gathering, March 8-11, 2007

I guess that rules out anyone who covers NCAA basketball and/or its various tournaments.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Only if your team is good. ;)

But, yes. There will be some of us out there that won't be able to make it for that reason -- myself included if my last-place team makes a big turnaround. I think that will be the opening weekend of the NCAA tourney. Still, there will be plenty of us not on a college basketball beat that can jump in and party with us.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm in, and I don't care where we stay. I don't do those rewards thingies since I'm a desker.

And I'm so going to try to randomly kiss Jeff Gordon. Woo hoo!

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've never been to Vegas, and can't think of a much better introduction to it than breaking in with some SportsJournalists.commers.

Sadly, it's my birthday weekend and I only get to see my folks twice a year. That's one of them.

Double down once for me.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think that's actually the weekend before the NCAAs start. So you'll be competing with conference tournaments.

With NASCAR being in town, reservations might be hard to get. You'll absolutely be paying a steeper price than usual. Also with the Stardust set for implosion later this year, that's 1,500 fewer rooms than currently available.

All that being said, that's also my birthday weekend (Hi IJAG!) so I'll try to make it if the price is right.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We'd love to--not for the hoops or NASCAR-- but unless we win Super 7 or Lotto 649, we'll have to pass.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

At least, that's the plan.

Cameraphones are not to be brought.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

It also rules out preps reporters - HS basketball state tournaments.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

HA! I'll still catch you streaking on film or digital or something and post it all over the Internet :D

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You're right. I neglected checking on that for sure and now I realize it's not going to be good for a lot of people.

Would March 31-Apr 2 be better? That's not NASCAR weekend (sorry, co-organizer) but it is the Final Four weekend and it happens to coincide with my birthday.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Re: Official SportsJournalists.com Las Vegas gathering, March or April, 2007

I would most certainly be out the March weekend ... I can guarantee I'll be covering a conference tournament.

Draft saved Draft deleted