1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official NCAA Lacrosse Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, May 24, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Albany was D III until relatively recently. I know a guy who played there. Really weird seeing them play at that level with the Hopkins, Marylands, Ivys, Dukes of the world. But they have put together quite a team.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As a Terp, I've never rooted for Duke in anything, ever. But I hope they win it all.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

It would be a fitting vindication, wouldn't it?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't know enough about Brown's style, I think he was an attacker though. Smith's job is to win faceoffs. That's it. Just like a center in hockey or a center in basketball in a tip off, but as soon as that's over Smith gets off the field most of the time. Possession in lacrosse often ends with a few shots on goal before the other team gets the ball, making the faceoffs in that game that much more important. The best midfielders who win faceoffs usually win a little over half of them. Smith, on average, took three of four in his career. He's like the Adam Vinateiri of faceoffs. You're shocked when he doesn't come through.

But after that Smith is just an average, nothing special kind of player. Brown's reputation is not threatened. Neither is Gary or Paul Gait's.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Was seriously tempted to drive down to Baltimore Saturday morning and see how good a single seat I could buy on the street. But I believe I'll settle for watching it on TV after a day of sandlot baseball.

6. who rates college lacrosse players?

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for the Blue Hens, only because I love the nickname.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Let's see:
    Johns Hopkins - No way can I root for them. It's like rooting for the Pope to win a "who's most Catholic" contest. Besides, they always tank early games and come back to make it somehow, and it just gets old.
    Delaware - Not a freakin' chance. Their football fans are incredibly obnoxious, and I can only gather there would be some crossover.
    Duke - Story of the year, hands down. Nothing really not to like about them.
    Cornell - One of two underdogs, but UMass plays 'em in hockey this season.

Guess I'm a Blue Devil fan.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Except they're Duke. And I must have missed the part where they did nothing but consume tea and crumpets at their little party.

Let's not confuse innocent with innocence.

10. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Because they're the only group of college age males to have a raucous party? They still were railroaded out of a season by an overzealous vote-luster. They're not perfect, but being able to come back from last year's circus (in which I'd place about 5 percent of the blame on them) and be a dominant team is pretty damn impressive, I feel.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

No, of course they're not the only group to have a raucous party. But I don't get the lionization of them, either.

Agree to disagree.

12. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Amen :)
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted