1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official fantasy baseball sleeper thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bullwinkle, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm bored...

Ian Kinsler, Rangers - Showed some pop and speed last year. Could he be a 20/20 guy? I guess Josh Barfield qualifies, too.

Tom Gorzelanny, Pirates - What can I say, I'm a fanboy looser. :p Seriously, the kid has decent stuff and a pretty deceptive delivery.

Ryan Braun, Brewers - Like Corey Koskie's going to stay off the DL.

Alexis Rios, Blue Jays - Not a sleeper by any means, but someone who can go 30/30 if healthy.

Brad Eldred, Pirates - If he can play RF (and cut down on the K's) at all, watch out.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Because no one has ever hit his way to more playing time than projected in spring training, right?
    I'd love to get him for $1 or so but the point is I think he'll go for more than that.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I like Kinsler and Barfield. In fact, I have both on one of my keeper teams that drafted already.

I think Gorzelanny is headed for the minors. He's been brutal this spring and his velocity is down. Looks like Chacon might join Armas at the back of that rotation.

Are the Pirates really still experimenting with Eldred in the outfield?

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hmmm...

I know Gorzelanny has struggled, particularly the early innings this spring. Didn't hear about the drop in velocity...never a good sign.

If he's sent to AAA, I'd rather have Youman in the back of the rotation. Chacon is just horrible.

As for Eldred, he's still out there on occasion and from what I've read, he hasn't embarrased himself. Yet.

5. Msaint

Msaint Member

Not sure if Kevin Kouzmanoff (SD) has been mentioned yet. Could be a cheap, deep option at 3B. Good power.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'll add Roger Clemens.

I drafted him the 20th round last year and sat on him. He helped carry me down the stretch when it mattered.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Heard of him.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For the first time in 7 years in my NL-only league, I have (whom I consider) quality starting pitchers going into the draft: Duke (I think he'll bounce back), Harang, Jennings and Maine (I hope he isn't a one-year wonder). Depending on what Clemens does, that's 5 solid starters. So I can focus on getting hitters.

My sleeper is James Loney, who I've had in the minors for a few years now, awaiting the time the Dodgers give him the job at 1st base.

9. Msaint

Msaint Member

FYI, papelbon back to the closer's role.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2808345

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Where does the Pap Smear rank among closers now?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I was praying for that news.

My SIAFL team now has Nathan, Papelbon and Street in the pen.

As long as their arms -- and Johan Santana's -- hold up, I'm going to cruise, bitches.

12. Msaint

Msaint Member

I think they'll still be very careful with him even if it does become a permanent job, but I'd bump him up behind 1st tier guys like Nathan, FRodriguez, Wagner, Mariano, Hoffman....then come BJ Ryan, Papelbon, Huston Street, Jenks (if healthy)...just ahead of Lidge, Cordero, Putz (sort of off the top of my head so I might be forgetting a guy or two). Again, though, this is in a "Paps is mostly healthy and ready to close all year situation" which isn't guaranteed right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted