1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official fantasy baseball sleeper thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bullwinkle, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. Alex Gordon is no sleeper to me or anyone else in the leagues that I'm in.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Just had my draft Sunday night, and three players I got that I would consider sleepers:

Ryan Shealy, 1B, Royals
    Luke Scott, OF, Astros
    Dave Bush, P, Brewers

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Bush a sleeper?

I would term him one of the top dozen starters, rotowise, in the NL.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, he was the fifth starter I took in the draft and the guys in my league I consider pretty savvy, so I figure he coming in under a lot of people's radars.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Sleepers everyone wants as their sleepers, so they're no longer sleepers:

1. Joel Zumaya
    2. Ryan Garko
    3. Jonathan Broxton

I like Rafael Soriano in certain formats, Ronnie Paulino, Wes Helms, J.J. Hardy.

Also, he's hardly a sleeper but I expect Dontrelle to outperform his roto salaries this year.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gordon has gotten way too much hype to be consided a sleeper any more. The only question was if the Royals would let him open the season in the majors. But Gordon has had a solid spring and Mark Teahen has adjusted very well to the outfield, so that's a done deal.

Shealy is a nice sleeper. Big-time power and that lineup is better than people think.

I agree on Paulino, too. He slipped by a lot of people last year because he is on the Pirates. He had a very good 2006 and he's been hitting well in spring training.

And as a little cross promotion, the SportsJournalists.com money league has some openings. There's a post by lawrenceofalabia explaining the deal for this year. The big bonus is we have a sponsor that contributes $600 to the pot.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32571/

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Say it with me...

Michael Cuddyer. OF Twins

Guy was a legit stud in the minors, struggled two years ago, showed a lot of improvement last year.

And will hit fourth between Mauer and Morneau.

8. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Here's a couple of rookies I like:

1. Howie Kendrick, 2B, Angels -- He may not be a total sleeper because I saw ESPN had him ranked fairly high, but I've seen this kid play a lot last year and he can hit. He's got 15-20 HR power, will drive in 70 RBI, hit between .300 and .320 and steal 15-20 bases.

2. Troy Tulowitzki, SS, Rockies -- One of the top prospects in baseball, he's great with the bat and, in Colorado, could put up some eye-opening stats as a rookie. I drafted him in the last round and tucked him at the end of my bench. Gotta love the potential at Coors Field.

9. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Zeke, cuz we've clashed on MMA threads before, but he's right on here. I was in desperate need of power in the late rounds and came across Cuddyer's stats. I got paranoid someone else was gonna look them up, too, before it was my turn. Glad I got him.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

In an AL-only league I'm in, there's one guy I knew I would protect from the start, though others still wonder why ... Ty Wigginton.

Wigginton only went 24-79-.275 last season, and he qualifies at first, second and third base. But because he plays for the Devil Rays and because most owners are convinced he won't match last year's numbers, a lot of people will pass on him, which is fine. I'll take him stash him at second base or middle infield and hope he hits 20 homers again.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

After watching and covering Phillip Hughes for the last two years, he's pretty damn safe as far as it comes to being a successful major league pitcher, but the Yankees seem like they're holding firm in their plan to gradually bring him up. A guy you should keep your eye on is Brewers right-hander Yovani Gallardo. Big and throws hard, led the minors in strikeouts. Gave up more than three runs in a game just once and had seven 10+ strikeout games. The kid even hit .381 in the Southern League. Definitely someone to follow.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

gimpy --
    Everyone can agree about baseball.

The CW is that much of Cuddyer's struggles two years ago came from playing third base. With him in right or DH'ing, all the right people are predicting a big year. And the dude is a masher.

And you have to like just about anyone's chances hitting between those two.

Draft saved Draft deleted