1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official British Open thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jul 20, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's OK. He'll just light up a smoke and get shitfaced tonight.

2. I'll take a Tiger-Ernie showdown for the weekend.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I think bad weather (finally) is supposed to come in tomorrow afternoon, so the guys playing early might have a chance to catch up.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Nicklaus never gagged 4-footers like Tiger does.

Not really arguable.

Tiger should sneak into the clubhouse with the lead and avoid the embarrassment of not winning another major when he trailed going into the final round.

Els putter has been incredible, of course his chipping has been as good as my 10-year-old's.

5. I know I'm late to this party but has there ever been another sports figure that national broadcasters rooted for as openly as the golf guys do for Tiger Woods? I mean, god, he's drowning out there fa littlet, and they start talking about how well he played the day before. It's astonishing to me. If you just dipped into the coverage, you'd think he was four shots up with three to play.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Garcia-Tiger for a final pairing tomorrow.
    Can we cue the 3rd round of Muirfield weather?

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm almost trembling because I'm in (gasp) full agreement with you.

It's like the people who cover golf were trained by the master of the junkyard in "Stand By Me."

"Reporter: Lick Balls. Lick balls, reporter." Then they run and do it.

8. Generally, I take complaints about biased announcers, especially from local fanboys, with a ton of salt. But the story today was obviously the field sticking with Tiger after his "putaway" 65 on Friday. The other story was Sergio. Instead, we got Tiger's Greatness, and from every announcer. I was stunned.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The field sticking with Tiger? Tiger stuck with the field. He shot one under. It's not like he shot a 66 and four other guys followed suit with 67s.

They don't call it "Moving Day" for nuthin'.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

My favorite part of the round was how every two or three minutes the announcers changed their story on the wind. It was as if half of them got the memo to play up the wind to make Tiger's round look not quite as shitty, and the other half didn't get the message. So one person would talk about how awful the wind was and the next guy would say something along the lines of "the wind sure has remained calm all day."

11. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Little help here.  What time will tomorrow's round end?

I don't have a TV, but tomorrow morning I want to go where there is one so I can watch the final round.

Six hours approximate time difference, so I'm guessing it will get over around 11 Central.

True?

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Woods and Garcia will go off at 8:30 a.m. your time. No way they finish by 11. Els and Woods took four hours today to finish their round, I think (wasn't paying attention to the clock). So you're looking at something closer to 12:30 Central, I'm guessing.

I'm hoping someone can confirm or correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted