1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official 2011 NBA Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 25, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, no idea why Minnesota would do that, since 1) Love probably isn't going to lose value and 2) Gasol is in his 30s and doesn't really fit with their youth movement. They're not one player away.

The deal would be a coup for the Lakers, although I think it would probably hurt them in the short term. Gasol is still underrated to me, in that I think he's only slightly less valuable than Kobe.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Heard Williams on the Herd this morning. Seemed like a fairly well-grounded fellow.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well-grounded is not the way I would describe his playing style.

The kid is an athletic monster.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sometimes the NCAAs are not the right barometer for pro value but the way Williams played showed me more breadth in his game than .....well I cannot recall in the past 35 years. You can only dominate where you play and he dominated.

5. Uh, yeah, he is.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What is the point of ESPN putting it's NBA mocks behind a paywall on draft day? I get it two or three months out, but why go out of your way to push people over to SI.com and YahooSports?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fredette could be a great fit on the Kings.

Personally, I think that's too high to take him and there's no way you take him there if Walker, Leonard or (god forbid) Knight is still available.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Who's good in this draft? Everybody has major defects, particularly for the spots where they are likely to be picked. For example, Irving is a no-doubter lottery pick but a No. 1 overall pick? Williams is a talent but is he a tweener? All kinds of guys like that on the board. No LeBron (oh wait...he sucks. I forgot), no Rose.

Of course, we'll revisit this thread in five years when half of this draft class is playing in the All-Star game and we'll discuss how stupid I am...

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is kind of a weird year. You figure a "weak draft" would prompt more people to come out early, and yet because of the NBA labor situation they probably figure they should stay in school since any new deal that will affect rookie contracts next year, will also be in effect this year - and I figure not as many agents are willing to advance unsigned rookies until their deals get done.

10. BrianGriffin

Dan I agree, but who is returning to college who would have been a top pick in this draft. Remember, drafts are generally evaluated on the impact players, not the depth of mid-range players or serviceable players. Who's going back to school that's better than a future mid-range or serviceable player?

I'm not saying there aren't any. I'm just not thinking of them off the top of my head.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones and Perry Jones are all guys off the top of my head who people talked about as lottery picks. John Henson's another guy who was on the fringe because of his upside.

12. BrianGriffin

I guess I should have phrased the question, who is back in school who's better than the players coming out. I think Barnes is the only one that I'd say it was likely, but we'll never know where his stock would be right now if he went through the series of individual workouts and all the other pre-draft stuff.

Sullinger jumps at me as a possibility, but he's still a 6-8 post (they say 6-9 in shoes), which makes him short at even the 4 in the NBA, and he's a 5 in college right now. I like T. Jones, but he's in that tweener category too, only for him it's between the 3 and the 4.

Do you think there would be a significant change in high-end quality if everybody came out? I think Barnes might be the guy that would be hyped as a future all-star. I'm not sold on Sullinger yet because the tweener thing. Terrance Jones I think will be a monster next year, but not sure on a him being a future all-star pro.

Draft saved Draft deleted