1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Officers Bodyslam Cuffed Woman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

This woman was pulled over for talking on her cell phone while driving. She pulls over in a Del Taco parking lot where the cops roughed her up and the security camera caught it. At the end notice the cops giving each other a fist bump.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/lapd-body-slam-video-chief-charlie-beck.html

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Why would you ever, ever, under any circumstances, get out of the car? Doesn't she watch Cops?

It looks bad, but I'll reserve judgement because I don't know what was said, or what kind of movements were made because of the fuzziness of the video. But getting of the car will never work out well.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There are some horrific videos out there of cops being shot in the line of duty doing ordinary traffic stops. Once I'd seen those, I figured I'd give them a lot of slack in using too much force to restrain a subject. It's wrong, but understandably wrong imo.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure the 5 foot 2 mom in handcuffs was being really menacing when the guy flipped her over his hip, slammed her face-first to the pavement, then fist-bumped his buddy.

5. RickStain

Because only menacing-looking people can suddenly pull a weapon out of nowhere.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Good call. I'm sure slamming the unarmed, handcuffed woman face-first to the pavement prevented her from shooting the officer. *fist-bump*

7. RickStain

Better safe than sorry. Rules are rules.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What rules?

9. RickStain

Whatever rules the officer is making up at the scene, usually.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Slamming the tiny suspect to the pavement - twice - would indicate these two officers don't have much skill when it comes to compelling suspect compliance.

Their commanding officer seems to agree.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Good thing they weren't Arkansas cops, or the gal would have been a "suicide"

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn, that is brutal. Have to know all the facts before final passing judgment but sure looks like body slamming without any justification.

Getting out of the car? Okay, maybe not the smartest move, but she was in a well-lit parking lot, any was pulled over for talking on a phone. Even if feel threatened, draw your weapon then. Many other options other than body slamming her face first into the pavement.

Fist pump? I usually do that when I'm happy, not when I just avoided a scary situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted