1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Office affairs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Mar 2, 2015.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

One of my co-workers, who was confronted in the parking lot by the wife of the copy editor she was sleeping with, ended up marrying a different copy editor from one of our other offices.

That lasted until he was caught having sex with yet another married copy editor in a back room of the office.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Worked in a firm a while back and one married atty was supposedly hooking up with a secty; both of whom were married. Worst part was we had a harassment training course for the office and another secty comes to us partners and complains that she feels harassed because that atty is letting everyone know he was doing that other secty; now the partners have to conduct confidential interviews with everyone in the office about whether it was true or not and whether anyone else felt "threatened" or "harassed." Most ridiculous waste of time I ever spent in those interviews; took about 40 hours of my life in those interviews and I never forgave that person for bringing up that complaint.

3. Co-worker sounds like a first-rate slut.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The sex was more ramped up in my first TV job...a bunch of 22-year-olds with nothing to do in a small market town after work but drink and screw. I was the hometown kid and was already engaged, so I only got to enjoy the stories.
    Basically it was a group with 2 guys and me in the main office, one male bureau guy, one female in the other bureau, a female anchor and another female producer and I'm pretty sure they were all Eskimo brothers and sisters by the end of two years.
    The most I got was a frisky lap dance by two of the girls when they were drunk.
    Throw in a sale rep from the local paper who was a neighbor of one of the guys and there was some "mass comm" going on.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You know, now that I look at it again, it did seem like I wrote that one person was dating or was married to multiple people.

And actually, I miscounted. Two marriages were still going strong, and one only lasted briefly.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You were already my hero, sir. This elevates that to another level.

Riptide likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This thread is better than the wanking at work one.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I saw that movie.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

At least in the other thread...you can ignore the person having sex with you and they don't get mad.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I've never been fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to see any sort of nasty newsroom confrontation over an office relationship. But at the first paper I worked for, there were two female reporters sleeping with the same male reporter, and it was fairly common knowledge. All three worked in the main newsroom; there was a bureau in the adjacent town, and one out in the sticks. The two female reporters did not get along to the point that it was affecting news coverage, although they did manage to keep things professional in the workplace. The managing editor eventually found out about the love triangle, and the result was that the male reporter was shifted to the bureau in the adjacent town, and one of the female reporters (the better-looking of the two, unfortunately) was moved into the sticks.

I also recall the story of a male co-worker who said he was repeatedly shot down when asking out women at the paper -- until he married a woman who did not work there. Post-marriage, he claimed that women in the newsroom who'd never shown any interest when he was single started coming onto him, and he couldn't do anything about it because he wanted to be a faithful husband (his marriage now has lasted more than 20 years).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's a really interesting dynamic.

My first hookup was under the radar. A couple people knew, but it wasn't well-known and since it was a friends with benefits deal, neither of us was emotionally attached.

When I was actually dating a copy editor, that was a different deal. I'd be on the road covering a game and I'd file my story and call for questions and then someone in sports would instant message my girlfriend and say things like, "Just got off the phone with your boyfriend. He said he was going to hit the bars." or ask her how often I called her when I was on the road. Not that any of that was a big deal, but they were trying to get under her skin. I wouldn't call her until after the final edition, but when I was on the road she would be agitated because people were poking at her about it. She was pretty high maintenance as is, but I was at Spring Training one year and a couple sports copy editors would be asking her all the time how often I called her, and how it must suck for me to be gone for weeks at a time. There was a Valentine's Day where I was on the road covering hoops and they were all over her because I didn't send flowers to the office. (I had sent them to her apartment) and she got them after she went home, but it was on the way home where she called me crying because they were giving her grief because I didn't send it to the office.

It was like, "Good Lord, get a fucking life..."

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

G
    Get a life to her or the coworkers? They sound like dicks who needed their commas spliced.

Draft saved Draft deleted