1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Officals botched instant replay in the Rose Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mmmm_Donuts, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

I'm sure this is posted somewhere else, but I couldn't find it. USC fans must be pissed. A good, detailed report. I can't believe how many times they F'ed it up. And why the hell wouldn't they be using the same replay technology as the NFL? Are they stupid?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AjdRHhBN9fJDmqdPltTkzQscvrYF?slug=jo-replay111006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

This would have been news 10 MONTHS AGO

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If it gets Trojan fans stirred up again, it's all worthwhile.

4. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

It's not news now? When a guy in charge of replay in college football comes out and says they blew it in a national championship game, and then technically lied to a national tv audience? Apparently, nothing is news anymore unless you break it IMMEDIATELY.

I think it's news. And apparently, so does AP.

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

will it alter the outcome?
    will anything come of this?

it's a shoulder-shrug, an 'oh, shit!' and then two seconds later it's done.

NOTHING CAN BE DONE. Texas is still champ. Vince Young was STILL incredible.

This is less than a footnote.

6. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Um, ok. So just because something happened and you can't change the outcome by revealing the truth, then you should just say "fuck it" and forget about it. Hmmmm. Maybe the point is to reveal the mistakes and effect change.

Maybe it's not news because AF doesn't give a shit. But after looking at the respective forums of the teams that have gotten screwed by botched instant replay scenarios this season, they sure seem to care. And I bet the NCAA and its coaches think this is, you know, sort of an important point.

7. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Well, if you want feedback, post your find in a USC forum. You're not getting enough here, apparently.

Take off that O.J. Simpson throwback and put away your Reggie Bush bobblehead doll while you're at it.

8. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

In light of some of this year's instant replay gaffe's, I think this is relevent -- not as much to change the outcome of the past as to highlight the flaws of the current system.

And I hate USC.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It is news, though one could make the argument that if Texas didn't score on that play it -- in all likelihood -- would have eventually on the drive.

What is a bigger concern is the fact that the technology used for instant replay in the biggest college football game of the year was no better than what was in my living room. The Independence Bowl invested $20,000 in its replay system. The national title game spent just 10 percent of that.

Let me repeat that:

The Independence Bowl invested $20,000 in its replay system. The national title game spent just 10 percent of that.

If college football refuses to take replay seriously, then it should not use instant replay. Period.

10. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

I don't know how much SportsJournalists.com spent on its reply system, but it seems to work pretty well. Especially the recent addition of quick reply.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Smartass. :D

BTW, good job with the O's the past season. Maybe Smoltz, Maddux and Glavine were carrying your reputation.

Draft saved Draft deleted