1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offensive or artsy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DougDascenzo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=391684&in_page_id=1770

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess I see the "crucifixion nuance" folks are complaining about here, but doesn't the flag itself have a certain "crucifixion nuance" to it?

Are you more offended by Rooney trying to pull a Caviezel, or that people are being so touchy?

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

that's a pretty fuckin' cool ad

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I got no problem with it, but I'm also not religious.

A lot of people in the world don't have enough to worry about.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Artsy, but I can see how some (including myself) could have a problem with it.

5. Baloo

Baloo Member

Bigger problem for nike if this ad runs in the u.s.: Who the f*ck is going to recognize that is rooney?

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Americans will wonder why Flea is doing a Nike ad?

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

What makes you think Nike will be putting this up in Times Square or anywhere else on this side of the pond?

8. Baloo

Baloo Member

That's why I said IF.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The problem here's almost entirely contextual. It doesn't mean much to us, but this is the paint job the boys likely wore on their way out of town in 1099 to go visit Saladin. Nice to be reminded the UK's got it's fair share of hair-trigger true believers, though, who see in every pose like this an affront to Jeebus and his glorious global franchise.

Imagine the same picture here next week with Brett Favre in Green 'n Gold. I gather the Lutherans would be in quite a lather.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good ad. All these uptight people need to take the oversized acorns out of their butt and relax.

11. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

But he'd have a big G on his chest. The ad merely matches the flag.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

From Wikipedia
    Interesting.

It isn't Rooney's fault for being in the ad or having Nike sponsor him, poor poor Rooney.

Then you have the actual flag being a war symbol and then people complaining that it is seen as a war symbol. Color me shocked.

Draft saved Draft deleted