1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off of soccer, answer this....quantify Bobby Cox's managerial lifeline

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bobblehead, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobblehead

bobblehead Guest

Are the Braves ever going to give up on him? Hell with the playoffs this year. The question is can they avoid the cellar?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If they're smart they won't.

And they won't.

Cox will manage the Braves until he decides otherwise.

Players universally love playing for the guy.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Yeah, you win the division every year for what...14-15 seasons?...and then the one off year you have, you junk the guy. Makes perfect sense. You win all those division titles, you're entitled to at least three straight last place finishes.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Better question would be, is Cox ready to hang 'em up or try something different?

Like say, bring the Royals back from the dead?

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It's about time someone called out Cox. He has only won 100+ games six times in his last 12 full season. That's unacceptable.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I really don't see anything happening one way or the other until the ownership change, and nobody knows what the new corporate overlords will do.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some of the bullpens they've given him in the past, it's a wonder he has won as much as he has.
    This bullpen is a fatal bullpen.  Absolute death.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, it's a wonder he hasn't snapped and gone postal on the front office because of those bullpens by now.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm about as anti-Braves as you can be. I'd love nothing more than to see the Braves lose 100 games this year. But fire Bobby Cox after 14 or 15 straight division titles? Bobblehead, man, you have GOT to quick smoking those banana peels.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Member

The real question is: How much longer until Cox's stomach explodes?

The man is getting hhhhhuuuuuugggggggeee!!!! [/tinyelvis]

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Called My Son The Braves fan the other night to whine about the Nats bullpen. He listens like a good son and then says, "AND YOU'RE WHINING TO ME? LIKE I FEEL FOR ANOTHER TEAM'S BULLPEN PROBLEMS?"

He then offered to trade every Braves' reliever for every Nats' reliever.

No thanks.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Oh, the bullpens have been shitty, no doubt, but most of the freakin' batting lineups he's been forced to make out over the years couldn't have been a pleasurable experience. The Nos. 6 thru 8 spots have been, year after year, filled with absolute shit. He's had two decent leadoff guys in 15 years and he's never had anyone hit consistently out of the No. 2 spot.

Fire Bobby Cox ... yeah, right. With the talent he's been given, to have the success he's had, they oughta make the guy president.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.