1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Of Russia and Ukraine (and the West)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Couple of things:

° Oh, by the way, the U.S. can start buying Ukrainian pipelines. Riiiiiight.

http://rt.com/business/180388-gas-pipelines-eu-ukraine/

° And who knows how it plays out, but Putin's food embargo is paralyzing the E.U.

http://rt.com/business/180040-eu-catastrophe-russian-ban/

Putin doesn't fuck around. Serious chess being played. Just waiting for China to jump into the pool now.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I ended up on a 6 mile hike with an expert on the region. He talked a lot about the consequences of sanctions against Russia and how it wasn't this harmless thing. One of the things I hadn't ever considered was how other countries would interpret that move. He explained that Russia is far different from any other country we've ever sanctioned like that. It's dramatically larger and more important, obviously, and not some obvious rogue state in the same way. And other countries, some our allies, took notice of that and wonder whether if we have some disagreement with them, we'd be willing to sanction them now.

He also had a lot to say about how much our actions were pushing Russia toward China.

Then, I was listening to an audiobook about the W. Bush presidency and it included a story about how Putin once got mad at Bush because he thought we had two different types of chicken wing factories, one for the U.S. and a shitty one for Russia.

So, that's all I've learned about Russia recently.

3. A shitty chicken wing factory would be grounds for war.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Russia is moving closer to all the BRICS nations. As it should.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Considering it's the R in BRICS and all.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean they have to or need to be allies.

The acronym simply identifes the nations as having similar stages of economic development. Ideologies can be 180-degree opposites.

Draft saved Draft deleted