1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Of decathlons and Napoleon Dynamite

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For the last 2 days I've covered the longest running decathlon in the country, in Nashua. It was 85 degrees yesterday, 95 today. I'm sun drunk. The local kid needed to win the 1,500 by at least 7 seconds to win the overall title. He won by 3, maybe 4, seconds, because the kid who was in the overall lead sucked it up bigtime and sprinted the final 250 meters. He was wheezing so badly that people in Manchester could've heard it. Great ending. The local kid was bummed because he didn't kick earlier, or possibly hard enough. To lose the overall title by something like 7 or 8 points must be a bummer after 10 events under killer heat. I'm glad I covered both days.

Last night at Motel 6 after a dinner at Boston Billiards, in which my sexily dressed waitress named Cupcake spilled ice water on my lap — "you must have flustered her," another sexily dressed waitress said — I finally relaxed and flipped to HBO, and Napoleon Dynamite had just started. I'd never seen it but heard it had become a cult classic. It's quite interesting. At first I wasn't sure if I'd made it through because it looked a bit too cheesy. But the longer I didn't flip the channel the more I began to enjoy the quirkiness of the movie. By the end it had won me over. Definitely some cool messages in there. I'd watch it again, just like I'd go back to Boston Billiards to sit at Cupcake's table. That black dress and those knee-high black boots ... definitely worth ice water in the groin.

2. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

X..you are close to outing yourself and why stay overnight from Salem? And I feel your pain considering the heat and the time period between deca events----but a return to see Cupcake might be the perfect salve for that hurt, yes???

3. Songbird

I don't cover Salem kids ... though they're tough fucking nuts. I have a great respect for the way they competed, especially the winner, who had no right winning the overall title but did so out of sheer desire. Inspirational effort in the 1,500.

Cupcake was something else. All the girls in the join were, with those scant black dresses that show legs from here to ya ya, and those sexier knee-high black boots. Nashua is a trippy little (3rd-biggest in New Hampshire) city.

4. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Know it well--but where is the Bos Billiards?

5. Songbird

Very close to Stellos Stadium there's a 7-11. Make a left turn and go down about a mile on the left side. It's near a gym.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Songbird... this is why you should have been poster of the year.. were you on that list? It's been too many posts ago to remember. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted