1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Of All The Sad Things That Have Happened at Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 3, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

You know what I find most curious about this whole thing...

How come someone who started a thread about how expensive his Yankees season tickets are always seems to be commenting on what the TV or radio people are saying when he should be at the game, in his expensive season seats?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Like to have been a fly on the wall in precious Hank's bedroom, tonight.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

i was looking forward to seeing joba in the rotation. after tonight, that might have been the worst thing for the team. fuck having the highest fucking payroll in all of baseball. it's past time for the yanks to get young. get moose and pettitte out and bring in some younger guys who know what the fuck they are doing. [/disgruntledyanksfan]

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What's curious about it. When did I say that I go to every game? I use at least 50 % of my tickets for Clients.

So far this season I've gone even less due to other commitments and the fact that this team is just not that engaging.

The good news - the tickets are partially tax deductable so you in effect are assisting me in paying for them.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm generally in favor of taking care of young pitchers' arms as much as possible, but why the need to "stretch Joba out" anyway? Wasn't he a starter in the minors and in college?

One year in the bullpen and he's suddenly incapable of throwing more than 62 pitches? I don't get it ...

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's not that he's incapable, it's that he hasn't done it in a year. Can't go from a year's worth of 1-inning stints to throwing 90-100 pitches in a start ... then doing it again five days later. And then stepping right in and trying to do it 25 more times this year.

Most starters take the entire month of March, every year, to work their arms up to that kind of schedule. Joba's gotten about 2-3 "extended" relief appearances to build up. That's just dumb. The Yankees really aren't handling this well.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Igawa? Geist?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Joba began his minor league career as a starter in Single-A and Double-A. But last year, in Triple-A they converted him to a reliever because they needed help in the bullpen. He's been stellar in the setup role that Mariano had before he became the closer. So why move him back to being a starter? It's a move I disagreed with, hopefully the Yankees realize it was a mistake as well.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A good reliever's hard to find, Joe, but the fact is: You get 3x as many innings out of a good starter than you do a Hall of Fame reliever.

If the guy can be just as good as a starter, then that's where you want him. If, like Rivera, he's more suited for 1-2 inning domination, use him there. But at least give Joba the chance to prove that he can't be a top-notch starter first, because if he can ... the Yankees are much better off.

(Now, maybe if managers would start using their dominating relievers for more than a mere 70 IP a year ...)

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In the post-game presser, Girardi was asked why Chamberlain was not sent down to the minors in an effort to stretch out his arm.

Girardi's response was telling. "He's a major leaguer." So, in the Yankees Universe, all that matters what's right for the organization and not the player.

Joba is expected to start on Sunday. His pitch count will be upped to around 85.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Much sadder ... for Yankee fans:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's Girardi placating Hank.

What a tangled web we weave . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted