1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ODU Outrage or Overkill?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was tasteless and they should be disciplined, probably pretty harshly.

It had nothing to do with rape.

2. Dick Whitman

In prison!

doctorquant and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're misreading that policy. By your reading of it, you were the victim of sexual harassment in this instance because you were affected by it.

I don't doubt that someone out there will argue that this is sexual harassment. I doubt very, very seriously that someone will be able to make the argument stick. Go back to the Oklahoma-SAE controversy. Virtually no one of considered opinion in the free speech/legal circles thought the OU chancellor would be able to make his suspensions stick. Had those guys challenged it, they would have won.

4. doctorquant

Oh come on. No one knows what these guys see as "the purpose of women." All we know is that they saw an opportunity to make a tasteless joke.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

By my reading anyone who walked or drove by those signs and was made to feel uncomfortable was a victim.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Which we were making in a thread here over and over and over just the other day.

7. Dick Whitman

They were joking about their prowess. The idea wasn't that the women would be unwilling. It was that they would be very, very willing.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Oh, good God.

old_tony and doctorquant like this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Is ODU a public school?

old_tony likes this.
  10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Dick, aren't you a lawyer?

If I was a university lawyer, I'd be praying nothing bad happened there. If anything does, it's a huge lawsuit. Those kids aren't very bright.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Geez, I am glad Mel Brooks was alive and produced most of his great work when we were a more tolerant nation.

12. doctorquant

Yes. Yours truly got offered a gig there once.

Draft saved Draft deleted