1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oden or Durant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 6, 2007.

?

Who would you pick if the draft was tomorrow and you had the first pick?

1. Greg Oden

22 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Kevin Durant

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rings? Neither

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Gold Club "dancers"? Ewing.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

And remind me again how many years he's played with Kobe or D-Wade?

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge Dalembert fan, but he's not playing out of his ass. Not lately at least. Iggy is having a breakout season and Carney has a lot of upside. You're obviously not a Sixers fan because if you were you'd see all that. Something else you'd see? The fact that teams love to go inside on the Sixers. With Oden and Dalembert there that would change.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why not trade the No. 1 overall for young players and/or multiple picks? Let's say the Celtics win the lottery. They have a ton of holes to fill and Oden and/or Durant can't fill them all. Trade down and have the opportunity to fill several positons with decent players.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I didn't ask who Shaq played with. I asked how many rings Garnett has. Simple fact is a dominant big man changes the game totally. I don't care what the NBA is like these days. Percentages say dominant big men (Oden) win you titles. Dominant others (Garnett) get you into the playoffs.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

One Oden/Durant is far better than several decent players.....when you have a chance at a stud you pick him.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Like to see Durant get in the weight room. Obviously he's a "long" guy and naturally skinny, but didn't see a lot of definition in his arms during the A&M game last night. One thing that worries me is that he's having these nights when he's scoring 37 and his team is losing. Seeing a little bit of McGrady in him (and that's not a compliment). That said, I wouldn't mind having him, but I'd take Oden over him.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I think the thing that impressed me the most about Oden was that game when he was shooting free-throws left handed.
    He hit something like 11 of 12 and when asked about it after the game, he essentially said something along the lines of "My right hand doesn't work, so I practice with the other one."
    I have a feeling in the days of "I'm going to go in, get my check and get out" a player who proves he's willing to work on top of being naturally gifted is going to get a lot of love.

10. I was tired of Oden's hype initially. But after watching him a bit, the guy is a stat sheet stuffer. Just the sheer fact that he's going to be doubled a lot will open up shots for every one else on the floor. It'll be interesting to see his game once he's totally healed. The guy is going to be a beast (he already kinda looks like one with those gruffy beards doesn't he?)

Durant has serious game, but I'd take Oden.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Especially from Philly fans

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Actually, I've been following Dalembert quite closely this season. And OK, maybe playing out of his ass was going too far. But he's been playing awfully damn well.

Last three games:

9 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks
    10 points, 6 rebounds, 4 blocks
    14 points, 17 rebounds, 4 blocks

For the season he's averaging 10.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game. His numbers have gone up exponentially since the Sixers traded Iverson.

Think Oden would put up 11, 8 and 2 a night as a rookie? Probably. Depends on the team.

And teams are scoring inside on Dalembert? Blocking four shots a game here recently ain't bad. Some of those might come from the weak side, but still. How about actually playing some D on the perimeter and making it harder to get the ball inside?

And, for the record, Oden and Dalembert would rarely, if ever, be on the court at the same time. If they were, Philly would get run into the ground.

Draft saved Draft deleted