1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ode to Ole Miss

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Sep 9, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Made my second trip to Oxford this weekend, and my first as a spectator, to take in the Mizzou-Ole Miss game.

Folks, I'll make it simple. If your team is headed to Oxford, then follow it down there. You shant regret it.

First, the dresses. Oh the dresses. Dresses everywhere. Some of the women even wear 4-inch heels, which perplexed the hell out of me. What really confused me was the penchant to look like you stepped out of a Polo ad. The heat index had to be near 100, and dudes were walking around with more flop sweat than John Daly. But they were stylish.

Second, the hospitality. Oh the hospitality. If hospitality were an Olympic sport, they'd send a group of Ole Miss fans every four years and chalk up the gold without a second thought. At least 10 people, probably more, walked up to our group, thanked us for coming down, and asked if we were having a good time.

We set up shop, just four of us and our cooler in the Grove. After visiting some friends, we came back to find we'd been adopted by a tent, where we shot the breeze and got fed before heading into the game.

Just a fantastic experience, and it would've been even if Mizzou lost. Although somebody did take my Chiefs tailgate chair.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Not everyone in the South is an asshole.

Y'all come back now, heah?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Paging mizzougrad ... mizzougrad96 please pick up the blue courtesy phone ....

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

too bad the stadium's as high school as it gets.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Glad to hear you had a good time, DD. And don't worry about your Chiefs chair ... as a fellow K.C. fan, I can safely say you won't feel much like supporting that dog-ass team this year.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As Warren St. John pointed out in his book, Ole Miss fans love to say "we may not win the game, but we've never lost a party."

Not sure how much experience you have with other SEC schools, but you'll see girls in dresses and guys in ties at quite a few SEC stadiums. If I needed no other reason not to join a fraternity, that was it. Stand for three hours in 90-degree heat with a damn tie on? Fuckabunchathat.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

My most fond memories from my days at Ole Miss are from tailgating in the Grove. Nothing else is quite like it, though it's a lot more crowded now than it was when I was in school.

I'll admit that there were quite a few days where my friends and I didn't even bother going to the game because we were having such a good time. Plus, Ole Miss usually sucks.

During the week, it's also a wonderful place to sit in a sunny spot and read between classes.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I was also there and experienced the same thing. I had been to a couple Ole Miss games before because my brother went to school there, but I had never gone dressed in opposing colors. At least, 15 people asked us how things were going and to enjoy our stay. The girlfriend had never been and was there to meet my folks. She was blown away by the hospitality we experienced. In turn, it made me want to be a classy fan of my school and was a great lesson in the future on how to act.

9. doubledown68

I agree... fuckabuncha that. And the line about never losing a party was dropped numerous times as well.

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

It was hard enough in a T-shirt and shorts. I saw a couple guys in full coats and ties, and I heard that line also during the weekend.

11. doubledown68

I should also mention I saw two quasi-celebs... ESPN's John Anderson, and the blond, Renee Zellweger look alike chick from Chasing Amy and Mallrats, et. al.

12. Joey Lauren Adams? How'd she look?

Draft saved Draft deleted