1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd situation, what would you have done?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bad plan.

Hit first. Spew expletives later.

or

Talk softly and carry a big stick.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I don't have security concerns, but there's still a Ted Williams autographed (mass produced) Louisville Slugger hanging by my front door. Anyone makes me nervous, and it's time to swing for the fences.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I guess if you hit him square enough, you could make a "splendid splinter".

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

If I wasn't looking for jobs and assuming that most would want drug tests, I might have been tempted to buy some. Now that I think about it, he said it was in his car, so that would have been the perfect chance to get him out of the apt. Damn. If only I wanted some weed.

I am going to start keeping my door locked at all times. I'm fresh out of college and am used to living situations where me and my roomies hardly locked the door, except for at night.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you shoulda turned the tables: followed him out to his car and when he bent in to get the smoke, punched him in the back of the head and then jacked his herb.

that would have been a solid, solid move on your part.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lock the door.
    Don't let people you don't know inside the door.

Simple, basic safety rules. Follow them. Fresh out of college means you are smart enough to get through college so don't do dumb shit.

Do I sound like your dad? Good.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I have to agree with that.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I had the same situation once, but instead of some sketchy looking guy it was a 7-story tall monster from the paleolithic era looking for "about tree-fiddy"

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Bad move letting him in. Never do that unless you're the star of The Human Weapon or something. You're damn lucky.

I had a similar situation while living in an apartment in college. Guy knocked on the door and asked if he could use the phone to call a tow truck. I said sure, but he'd have to make the call from the hallway. Chained the door, brought him the cordless in one, gripped a bat in the other. He made his call, handed the phone back and that was that.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Thanks, Moddy. I don't think my old man could have said it better.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm a little confused by your confusion. You said you've met your neighbor and this guy said he was friends with him. And then you say he said he lived next door. If you've met your neighbor why would you be confused as to whether this guy lived there, if you haven't met him?

Have you spoken to your neighbor about this guy? If so, did he say he knew the guy?

You may be very lucky, but I'm sorry to say you might not be completely out of the woods. As someone said earlier, he could have been casing your place. You said he asked to go the bathroom and then went and sat on your bed. Did he go to the bathroom? If not, you have to wonder why he said he did and then ended up in your bedroom looking for privacy. That with all of the other inconsistencies with his story would have me feeling a little uneasy for the next few days.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If they haven't made a horror film that starts with what you've described, they should.

I had an eerily similar experience during a strange night in Indy after the 500 rained out for the day. I believe what you're describing is a crack head.

Draft saved Draft deleted