1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd situation, what would you have done?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Ummm...other than saying something along the lines of "Get out," no, you didn't have to talk to him.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

That was the worst seven dollars you ever spent.

He'll be back.

Guaranteed.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Jeremy, you sound like you have the personality of my wife. You're too nice and can't say no to people who need help. I've had strange people come to my house before, asking if they can come in because they want to sell me this or that or whatever. I always give them a chance to sell me their pitch or tell me what they need to tell me ... on the front steps. They don't step foot in my house.

Now, in your situation it's very easy to get out of. He wants to use your phone? Politely apologize and say your phone is out of order, you don't have a phone, you have a sick child/parent/friend sleeping in the apartment and don't want them to be disturbed. Then shut the door and lock it.

Glad to know you're OK. I would even consider calling the police and filing some kind of suspicious person report.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Aside from what you should have done (I have no problem shutting my door in that case, but I've got a wife and a 4-year-old, so nobody "sketchy-looking" is getting a foot in my door)....you really should take some precautions now.

One...find a way to let your neighbors know what happened and that they might want to be careful of this guy. They (and you) should be more careful about leaving that outer security door open. Definitely talk to the people who he said he was friends with.

I second kingcreole's point about filing a police report. Suspicious behavior aside, the guy tried to sell you weed, so they should be ready to listen. Better to do what you can to protect yourself.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What would I have done? It depends how many floors up your apartment is.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Go to a sporting goods store and purchase yourself a Louisville Slugger and keep it next to your front door. Next time, if need be, swing for the fences. Or channel Robert DeNiro in The Untouchables.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wouldn't have let him in the house at all. I live in a city, in an apartment with three locks. And every time I walk into my house, the locks are turned. Since I don't know anyone in the city, for the most part, if there's a knock on my door, I don't answer it. There is no way someone is coming in without an invitation.

I probably would have told the dude that I had to get ready for work, and it wasn't a good time. Then said, "I'm sorry," and closed the door.

As soon as he spoke about drugs, he'd get the heave-ho. Immediately.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Before you have the cops over to your place I'd make sure your visitor didn't leave anything, like a brick of dope in your toilet tank or something, that he's going to try to pick up later.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You should have bought some weed.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gotta love Buck, trying to find the silver lining.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Never, ever leave your door unlocked if you live in an apartment complex.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seriously. If some guy opened the door to my residence there would be some serious problems. Starting with a long line of expletives asking what do they think they are doing. Then would come the mini bat that I got at a baseball game many years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted