1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd question... any truck drivers here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, May 4, 2020.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Anyone else recall the group Truck Stop Love, from the 1990s college rock scene?

One of the great band names of all time.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Plenty of time for you to get road strange in truck stop parking lots. Be careful, tho. If they’re really clean, they’re probably a cop.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Until recently a good buddy carted garbage from Toronto to Carleton, MI every day. Loved it.

Recently he started taking a trailer full of heavy equipment from Toronto to Miami and back. Haven’t talked to him about that but I’m sure he’s making good money, as he left the garbage gig (which paid him six figures) to take this one.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

More evidence that we take crap from Canadians.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I could easily see myself driving a semi.
    Had an uncle that did it for several years.........Grandfather drove a semi for Yellow Freight for over 30 years.
    I love to drive.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

2017, a Bud truck made a 120-mile trek from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs.

playthrough likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Driving a truck was actually my fallback, and may still be. I like to drive, I handle large vehicles well, and I don’t mind long stretches of being alone. Money is good after a couple of years, but working conditions can be widely variable. Still could see myself doing it if the bottom falls out of what I’m doing now.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I listen to Road Dog Radio on XM for shits and grins and lemme tell you, truckers hate their jobs.

But it might not matter anyway, as noted in the 60 Minutes piece referenced above. Most futurists I follow list truck driving equal with checkout clerks as the profession most likely to go away quickly.

Driverless trucks could disrupt the trucking industry as soon as 2021

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Self driving autonomous trucks are coming. Soon. I would be very cautious indeed about making that particular move.

exmediahack likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It's not nice to talk about your sister that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted