1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd AP rant for an NFL Sunday, but ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 11, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It still annoys me that AP can barely be bothered with Walker Cup coverage today. No photos; barely a story.

Getty is all over it photo wise.

This will resonate with ... nobody, but I had to do it.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

What the hell is the Walker Cup?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I had to google "Walker Cup."

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"You only cover our golfers when they're professionals!"

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think the Walker Cup is something so far down the list of what 99 percent of the readers want and expect to see that it shouldn't be much of a priority for the AP.

To me, it's one of those things where if the readers of your paper/site are that ravenous for blown-out Walker Cup coverage, then your paper/site should send a writer and photog to the Walker Cup to give them what they want.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I know what it is but I'm not sure 1 percent of readers would know any players.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Getty Images is subsidized in small part by pro golf tours, so no surprise that the photo selection is great. As for a story, if that was being played stateside this weekend, would it even merit a byline with everything else going on?

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

AP had used a stringer when the Walker Cup was in the U.S. in the recent past. But AP staffed the world triathlon championship today in Beijing, so yes, the wire service should have had something beyond perfunctory coverage.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The AP these days is working as much for websites, who pay the bills, as newspapers. Websites don't have limited news holes. Websites would probably like a complete story on something like this. Asking for photos might be a bit much, but a full story is a reasonable expectation.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Oddly, I'm actually surprised at how "negative" this is coming back (I don't mean that I'm hurt, I simply mean I'm surprised at the "not worth it" response).

Golf was comparatively dead this weekend, and AP still has a vast European network, so it wouldn't have come out of NFL or college coverage; and the U.S. team has one of the best amateur teams in history on paper -- and they got beat. (Two of those kids won Nationwide events this year, and one shot 60 in a PGA Tour event).

But I'm a bit golf-centric as one of my side jobs here, and so I guess that's mostly it. It was mildly important in that little world.

11. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Big deal here because it's a big golf community and we have a major amateur event, but I doubt the Walker Cup holds much interest in the vast majority of the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted