1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OCR to flood the zone on Angels opener

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Interesting that they give all those stats but don't say whether newsstand sales increased.

They can't really say that assigning 91 people necessarily resulted in the increase in page views. If the higher interest already existed compared with last season, as the OCR said it did in announcing they were going to do this stunt, who is to say that the numbers wouldn't have been similar to these with normal coverage?

My paper had better-than-expected street sales in January and February, but is that because of how we did it or simply because some major stories came our way?

I wonder how many readers looked at more than a couple of the 56 stories and the more than 800 photos. I am really fast and reading 56 stories would be a challenging eight hours for me -- and forget about 800 photos. That would mean reading seven stories an hour for eight hours straight. It's certainly doable, as anyone with slot experience knows, but there is no way I would choose to do that if I weren't being paid to do it.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

All it means is that the paper can blow off anything else that happens for one day a year and go back to being mediocre the rest of the year.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

The different angles may be a good idea, but it seems like to have them all at once is problematic. It just seems like too much to handle at one time. Perhaps a better idea might have been to have about 10 or 12 for opening day, and them to do a bunch of non-game stories each week.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I hear Harrisburg is planning something similar for the Penn State opener with just about the entire staff covering it from some angle. I'm a big fan of the Patriot-News sports section, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, now you did it. ;)

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shot, here's a couple of angles I'd like to read.
    1, How Sandusky treated the opening of fooball season
    2, How the Paterno family treated the opening of football season
    3, Talk with the jurors and get their reation to the start of the season.
    Just a few ideas. Bounce them around with Paul and get back to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted