1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oceans 13

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riddick, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

After watching the second one, I didn't know what to expect. But this one was certainly worth the price of admission. Almost as good as the first one.
    Like Rocky V, I pretend Oceans 12 didn't exist.

2. I watched Ocean's 12 last month for the first time since I saw it in the theatre. The only time it approached the first one, I thought, was the scene with the cryptic dialogue where Damon quotes Led Zeppelin.
    But the first one was so good, I will have to go see this one.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

O12 was no better, or worse, than O11, as I am sure O13 isn't, either.

A bunch of Hollywood demigods-in-their-own-minds schmooze their way through a far-fetched plot, with a bunch of random semi-twists and insider jokes thrown in, everybody wears cool clothes and goes some awesome places, everything clicks into place, and everybody walks away chuckling at the end.

O12 got a couple of bonus points for Catherine Zeta-Jones, absent (along with Julia Roberts) from 13.

CZJ and Julia have been replaced as female eye-candy by, I am told, Ellen Barkin, who is 53, and looks every minute of it. Bleeehhhh. Couldn't they have nabbed a couple of mid-30s/early 40s babes (think Diane Lane, Marisa Tomei, Jennifer Connelly) to spice up the scenery? Whatsa matter, was Diane Keaton busy or something? Meryl Streep busy washing her hair?

I may go see it at the dollar matinees, or more likely, wait until it hits cable.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dunno... no Julia Roberts is a selling point for me.

5. I'll second that.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Meryl Streep is a babe?

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Julia Roberts = not as attractive as she thinks.

Thirteen will be just as good as the first two because it is the exact same formula. If you liked the first, you'll like this one.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Clooney's Ocean's 11 was good, and if I was to ever have a man crush it would be on Clooney. But his film was nowhere near as good as the Rat Pack version. Granted, Sinatra's gang just wanted an excuse to party and drink in Vegas and Clooney's version actually had the semblance of a plot, but Clooney's film was just too smooth, too polished.

Also, Sinatra, Martin, Davis >>> Clooney, Pitt, Damon

P.S. The original's ending was a lot better, too.

9. Rambler

Rambler Member

I'm a big fan of the franchise, but I didn't think 13 was anywhere near as good as 11. Much closer to 12. I do believe it's run its course.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Incorrect. Ocean's 12 was absolute shit, made even worse by an unwatchable subplot involving Tess' resemblance to ... Julia Roberts. ::) Gee, ya think? Ocean's 11 was vastly superior to 12.

Uh, yeah and that's kind of the point: It's entertainment. It's a fucking movie; you pays your seven bucks and walk away thinking, "Gee, that was silly but it was fun."

Saving the budget and keeping a couple of star egos out of the way.

And Marisa Tomei couldn't act her way out of jury duty and has no business being mentioned with a cast of this pedigree.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oceans 11 was a fun flick, nothing more...

Oceans 12 was complete shit... The whole Julia Roberts storyline had me wanting to walk out...

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ocean's 12 was so bad I couldn't even fall asleep during it. Saw it Christmas night after a long day of driving and wolfing down food and figured I would doze off. But it was so bad I kept watching it, waiting for it to suck less.

Never happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted