1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Occupy Oakland copies Oakland Tribune logo, thinks it's free speech

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CA_journo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

BANG recently sent a cease-and-desist letter to the publisher of the "Occupied Oakland Tribune," which copies the Tribune's logo and its name.

The response from Occupied Oakland Tribune? Stop squelching our free speech!

Give me a break...
  2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Because newspaper employees are part of the wealthiest one percent and all ...
  3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Member

Well, perhaps not the journalists, but the Oakland Tribune is part of a larger corporation run by Dean Singleton, who, even if not literally part of the 1%, is certainly emblematic of the problem.
  4. I'm going to bottle tap water, print out Coke labels, sell them for a buck a pop and call it free speech.

Although, I suppose I could just call it water and sell it for a buck a pop, too.
  5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

The other Occupiers should denounce this blog. It is counter productive.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This will not end well.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Satire and parody are both protected uses. And you can't say that a font as ubiquitous as Old English is in any way protected. So there are legitimate ways to argue this instance - although it's pretty obvious Occupy is infringing on something. Infringing on what exactly is the question.
  8. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

I get that, but it seems like every minor setback or every time "the media" isn't covering Occupy 24/7, it's some sort of oppression from the one percent. It just makes me laugh that a newspaper is now the one percent.
  9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Trademarks protect a product. No reasonable person would confuse the Oakland Trubune with an "Occupy" rag. Stupid move by the paper.
  10. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Since when does that matter? A lot of these occupy groups are fighting cops, homeless, people trying to get to work, and mom-and-pop shops, neither of who are in the 1 percent.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

From a PR perspective it's a stupid move. But from a legal perspective it's exactly what they must do in order to protect their brand. If you fail to enforce your trademark in a timely manner, you can lose your ability to enforce it later. The Oakland Tribune is right to send a cease and desist notice.
Draft saved Draft deleted