1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O'Canada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Gives me chills every time. Thanks, BBAM.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It kind of freaks me out. Every other scene like that I have ever seen had an evil man with an armband or a funky goatee gesticulating wildly, frothing at the mouth, and working the crowd into a lather with a hate-filled speech prior to the nationalistic singing breaking out. It does make sense to me, though. If I lived in Edmonton, Alberta, I'd be looking for something to love that much.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Same here, IJAG ... until the minute mark when Corky, in the background, is putting so much effort into belting out O'Canada. It's then that I burst out into laughter.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

"Corky" has down syndome and is the Oilers stick boy. Real name is Joey Moss
    Singing the anthem like that was first started in Vancouver at a Canuck playoff game a few years back

6. Flash

Flash Guest

See? And this is one of the reasons I dispute the national anthem still being played at non-Olympic and non-world championship events ... we started it. No, we started it.
    Who gives a shit who started it? Can't it just be a wonderful moment? I'd be willing to bet there are people who would dispute it was 'first' done that way at a Canucks game ... say, some people who were at the Red Deer world juniors? Or folks who stood on the docks in Halifax awaiting soldiers' arrivals? Or the crowds who travel across the country to attend Canada Day ceremonies in Ottawa?
    This is a far more poignant moment than the national anthem before an NHL puck drop:

Now that we've lost the original intent of the thread ... have at 'er.

7. nice. my first pair of skates were 152s.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Relax, I was talking about the anthem singer putting the mic to the crowd

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Well, in that case, Mick Jagger did a few times back in the '70s ...

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

OK, you win

11. Flash

Flash Guest

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

Aren't PEI beaches red?

And if you've driven across the country, how do you miss Manitoba?

Draft saved Draft deleted