1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O'Canada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So last night I plop in season 1-2 of The Kids in the Hall, and laugh till 4 in the a.m. while reconnecting with the show.

The whole Canadian perspective is so different from America's, and I was trying to tap into our northern neighbor's national psyche trying to peg something that I couldn't quite do. It seems there's a carefree, laid-back freedom up there. I mean, one skit where Bruce McCullough plays a pompadour-wearing banker sitting at the bar stool screeding about his life -- dropping F-bombs so beautifully -- before the lights go rave-a-delic and he starts dancing and dropping more F-bombs ... you just can't do that shit on American TV.

The show is brilliant on many levels.

So I guess I proffer a question to the fine SportsJournalists.com canuckers: What is it about your country that's great, and why? And what's your truest feelings about us down here, most of whom couldn't differentiate Medicine Hat from Manitoba on a map even if we were told exactly where to look?

I really want to understand the Canadian outlook on life.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" versus "Peace, order, and good government".

3. Flash

Flash Guest

This is one that shall require some thought, Xan.

However, I will first let you know that I am one of many who has the Maple Leaf inked on her body.

On a side note, have you seen any Chicken Lady skits yet?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Send you a dollar for the pic....

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup.

Canadians have written hundreds of books about what it means to be Canadian.

That in itself tells you something.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Quick threadjack ... it's really too bad that McCullough is going down fast with the sinking ship that is Carpoolers. I guess America has ruined something good from Canada?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Have you seen the movie "Hollywood North" with Matthew Modine? About movie-making in Canada. Kinda cool, strange, but worth a viewing.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

You owe me a dollar.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

PM me your paypal address.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sister Flash,

That was so worth it. I'll send a dollar and even make it Canadian currency.

All my tattoos -- save my Haida piece -- are Hibernian (harp, line from Yeats, Celtic cross) rather than Canadian.

YHS, etc

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Works for me. I KNEW there was something I liked about the good folks up North. :)

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

The Canadian (actually, more or less an Ontario thing) humour thing (Kids in the Hall, SCTV, Lorne Michaels and SNL types, Jim Carrey) has something to do with being able to watch Buffalo television growing up. What I don't understand is why the only funny Buffaloanian (Lucille Ball) came along before television.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted