1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OC Register hiring spree

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Apr 25, 2013.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What are you basing this on? Ad pages? Rumor?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Actual papers... the e-edition I read seems to have a lot of ads. Of course, I don't know what they're charging for the ads, but the weekday editions seem to be thicker than most other cities.

3. tharmonson

tharmonson New Member

Before our new owners took over last July, we all had ideas and expectations of what would happen. Nobody, however, had any clue that these owners believed that you can't cut your way to prosperity and that quality is vital if we want people to pay for our product.

Since then, we've grown at an astonishing rate, adding journalists and sections with regularity. Our editor got the idea of putting up photos of new hires on the wall across from the bathrooms in the newsroom. There are several rows of photos that now stretch all the way across the wall. Of course, we in sports don't see them that often because we moved off that floor; we and the rest of the newsroom had grown too much to fit on one floor.

Someone asked about the sports hires. I think I posted a list on the jobs board when one of our positions was filled, but here's the latest:

Jeff Fletcher and Pedro Moura - Baseball writers
    Ryan Kartje - UCLA beat writer
    Rich Hammond - USC beat writer
    Jake Kaplan and Antonio Morales - Reporter trainees (also five photo trainees who shoot high school sports but technically are part of the photo staff)
    Kevin Nikolas, Lombardo Rodriguez and Gary Schnurr - Designers
    Chris Bayee, Bill Cizek, Chuck Hickey, Jim McCurdie - Copy editors
    Todd Bailey - OCVarsity coordinator
    Chuck Scott - Assistant sports editor (baseball/day editor)

Also, we were able to promote Nick Leyva (desk) and Brian Patterson (high schools) to assistant sports editor roles to replace assistants who retired or left the department. Note: There also have been several sports hires in our community editions, but they don't report to our staff.

We're thrilled with those we added to an excellent group that weathered some hard times but is thriving with our push to keep improving the Register.

And since someone will ask, we don't officially have any openings for sports writers, but I anticipate getting the approval to look for a golf writer soon. If that happens and the potential candidates we have identified don't pan out, I will put up a post for the position on the jobs board. We do have a desk opening, and I'll get that posted soon.

Todd Harmonson
    Sports Editor
    Orange County Register

4. Giggity

Giggity Member

I've been fortunate enough to talk to Todd and some of the other hiring managers recently.

I'm in my mid-30s. I've heard enough talk from the old-timers to recognize that what's going on at the Register is what the old-timers described as happening in the boom years of the 80s and 90s.

They have good jobs to offer. They want to do real journalism. They will pay you a fair wage. You'll work for, and with, people you like, respect and will learn from. You might be part of the newsroom that convinces other newsrooms that it pays to invest in real journalism.

Or, you might just go have a great job for a couple years in SoCal.

5. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Once again, everything sounds good with the OC Register. Keep it up!

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My only hesitancy is that we've heard the good-ship lollipop stories before (hi, Fanhouse!) ... the rank-and-file are the last to know the Titanic's iceberg is nearby.

Please, I hope these folk prove me wrong.

7. Not having a digital-only option will kill the paper in the coming years.

That 3 percent increase in subscriptions figure is a bit fuzzy, as the Ken Doctor article mentioned the Register had "a crazy-quilt of pricing."

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Todd, thanks for answering. Much appreciated and happy to hear about a newspaper investing in its product.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

CJR wrote about Kushner's experiment: http://www.cjr.org/feature/an_ink-stained_stretch.php?page=all

Draft saved Draft deleted