1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No and no. Ted is No. 6 in the modern era.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Tris Speaker for both answers (though I am pretty sure he retired with Cleveland)

3. micropolitan guy

Tris is No. 5 among all-time players in the modern era, with a .345 average.

The last player to retire from MLB as a member of the Red Sox with a .300 career average is Sean Casey. He hit .322 in 2008 and retired with a .3022 lifetime average in 5,066 at-bats. According to Baseball Reference, he earned $41 million in his career. Good guy, good on MLB Network and a fellow Three Chopt Tech alum, but man, $41 million seems unbelievable.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

If you gave me 50 guesses,don’t think I would have gotten Casey. Good question.

5. cyclingwriter2

Which baseball Hall of Famer played for the most teams. Hint: he played for 11 and he is in as a player.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  6. micropolitan guy

Wow, that is a good one. My guess is someone from the 1870-1890 era who played for Providence, Troy, Worchester, Buffalo, Louisville, etc., when those franchises were considered major leagues.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I thought of Gaylord Perry, but he "only" has eight. And Rickey Henderson has nine.

8. cyclingwriter2

You are on the right track and this dude played on several of them.

hint: if you go by black ink scores, he is in the top 10 all time..just ahead of guys like Aaron, Mantle, Bonds and Schmidt.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  9. cyclingwriter2

Rickey and Goose Gossage are the modern leaders with nine each.

10. cyclingwriter2

The answer was Dan Brouthers, who played on 11 teams in three leagues over 19 years. Was the dominant hitter of his era. Led the league in WAR for position players five times. He led the league in OPS+ six seasons in a row and eight overall. Only other guys to do six or more are Ruth, Cobb and Hornsby.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When he played if you had told someone he led the league in WAR they would have thought he got in a lot of fights.

12. micropolitan guy

Who is the only player in MLB history to hit into four triple plays? (Hint - he's in the HOF).

Draft saved Draft deleted