1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Thinking about NFL MVPs and Hall of Famers, I've come up with a couple of guesses:

Willie Davis
    Larry Brown

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Larry Brown it is. Hall of Fame basketball coach was playing in the ABA, Redskins running back was 1972 NFL MVP while baseball's Larry played 12 years, mostly as a shortstop with the Indians, and hockey's Larry was a defenseman who played most of his career with the LA Kings.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We just missed the Willie Davis trifecta. The football great retired in 1969 and another Willie played in the ABA in 1971. The Dodgers outfielder overlapped both.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember the running back Larry Brown always seemed to get up slowly and painfully after he was tackled and limp back to the huddle. Then they'd hand him the ball on the next play and he'd outrun a defender to the corner -- and after he was tackled, he'd get up looking once again like he could barely walk.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I figured hockey was the longshot for Willie.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My brother delivered mail to the Kings' Larry Brown. He was a really ugly guy with a crooked nose. And, a smoking hot wife.
    One story was the Kings were going to send him to the minors. He was pleading his case to the GM and said, "But what am I going to do with my dogs?" The GM was very perturbed and said, "Gas 'em." larry-brown-1979-5.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Wont guess year, but will say that Adam Dunn and Chris Young are on the list. I’m sure on young and this seems like something dunn would have accomplished.

8. cyclingwriter2

Who is the only mlb player to get six hits off of Nolan Ryan in one game?

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Rob Deer?
    For the 30 HRs, not 6 hits off Ryan

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, who is it? And who were the other guys with 30 HRs but less than 70 RBIs?

11. cyclingwriter2

Mine was a bad joke...Robin Ventura.

I wasn’t the asker on the other.

Chef2 likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not that obscure, but a fun question - name the only other NFL team to complete an undefeated season besides the Miami Dolphins.

Draft saved Draft deleted