1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I couldn’t remember that. I just remember that there was a huge fuss because he was the first big name that went to the USFL.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Incorrect. The 1986 draft was without one for a while, until Charles Haley was inducted in 2015.
    1987 had two hall of famers (Rod Woodson and Cris Carter), and 1988 had five.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know but I do know the first player taken in the first draft -- Jay Berwanger of U. of Chicago -- never played in the league. He wanted to go into the business world and make some real money.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, i whiffed badly on that one.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The two NFL drafts that have not produced a Hall of Famer are 1943 and 1992.
    Looking at the '92 draft, the only ones who might have any kind of a shot are Jimmy Smith (highly unlikely given his personal issues and how the bar has been raised for receivers) and Darren Woodson (rather surprised he hasn't gotten more support from the HOF committee given his longevity, productivity, and importance to those 1990s Cowboys teams).

6. cyclingwriter2

Interesting, no one even really close for the 1943 draft, but I did notice at least three future pro coaches (Rymkus, Ramsey and McCaffrey) and one college coach (bass).

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Who led the 1962 Houston Colt .45s in homers (24), RBIs (76), base hits (162) and batting average (.286). Unusually, this player had more homers (24) than combined doubles and triples (15).

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Try again. Dallas burned a mid-round pick on the chance that he would consider coming to the NFL after Trump signed him to the Generals.

Smart move. Went to the Cowboys after the USFL folded. Then went as part of some little rebuilding project by Jimmy Johnson ...

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The memorable Roman Mejias.

Two of the original Colt .45s also played on the original (and only) Seattle Pilots.

10. cyclingwriter2

I had no idea on that question, but did look it up. Somehow he got traded straight up for Pete Runnels, who was coming off a batting title with Boston.

as for your new question: No idea, but let’s say pagliaroni and locker because they were older players.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’ll say Sandy Valdespino and George Brunet.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I know Walker was drafted by the Cowboys in the NFL draft, but he wasn't taken in the USFL draft that year and the Generals just signed him afterward. It was a reaction to a wrong guess on the question. I did leave the "... in the USFL" part out but I thought since the question involved that league's draft, there was enough context.

Draft saved Draft deleted