1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obit Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Sep 4, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Anybody see anything wrong with this sad obit?

http://www.legacy.com/jg-tc/DeathNotices.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=93832209

2. DKIA

DKIA Member

Looks like mom had a serious falling out with somebody. Damn.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Apparently, Mom is charged with burning the baby to death:

http://www.newstribune.com/articles/2007/08/09/news_local/144local01wayne1.txt

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

These family-arranged obituaries -- when manner of passing is in question or involving foul play -- often leave out cause of death. This is not a new phenomenon. This practice has been allowed for 125+ years.
    This paper service is called a "death notice."
    A news obituary hopefully would/could include anything from a gruesome detail to just mentioning the questionable circumstances.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wow. It was obvious that the mother wasn't well liked, but I thought it was just a grudge, not something this terrible. I suppose a quick Google search would have uncovered the truth.

I prefer real obits, particularly those that mention a cause of death. But few papers bother with that these days.

6. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

The thing that struck me was that funeral services were well over a month after death.
    Didn't even notice the lack of mother.

Needless to say, that's pretty disgusting.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Neither did I, and I read it three times. Things that jumped out at me: the gap between death and funeral, and that the funeral home has a gift shop. WTF.

8. fishwrapper

This is also not uncommon for questionable deaths. The body won't be available until release by coroner or, probably in this case, a state or federal (pediatric) forensic pathologist (or anthropologist).

9. DKIA

DKIA Member

The lack of a mother was the first thing I noticed, as well. Don't see too many kids who are born to just a father.
    After reading a few of the stories, have to say the whole thing is pretty damn disturbing.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Aren't all obits supposed to begin with "RIP"?

11. fishwrapper

Um...serious?

12. I don't get why the obit had to run at all in a case like this. Yes, setting your kid on fire is a pretty un-mother-like thing to do, but to not mention the mother in the obit seems more conspicuous than mentioning her. I think the funeral home should have forgotten to call it in or "lost" the paperwork or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted