1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obesity's death toll could be higher than believed, study says

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 16, 2013.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/kraken-burger-hits-caloric-heights-163726858.html?vp=1

The guy who created the above sandwich doesn't care.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bingo.

3. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Maybe a few more vegetarian meals a week would help.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

38 BMI.

Oy.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's strange because just had my BP taken twice 2 weeks ago and it was excellent.

You'd look at me and not think I'm obese. 6'2, 295.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

About five years ago, I had my body fat measured by sending some sort of low-level current through my toe. Don't remember what that technique was called, but it sure beats the calipers pinching you.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

41... I have been trying a vegetarian diet, but find them stringy and extremely difficult to butcher.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm currently 21.6 and I've been within a half point of that number for 25 years. I'm fortunate that my weight doesn't fluctuate more than a pound two, either way, as long as I work out regularly and watch my beer consumption.

BMI is too simplistic, though, and doesn't account for body structure.. The ideal weight for a six-foot ectomorph is going to be different than that of a six-foot mesomorph or six-foot endomorph.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Fourteen years ago I was roller-blading 50 miles a week and in the best shape I'd been in in many years. My numbers from that site claim I was overweight.

Twenty-five years ago I was running 35 miles a week and in the best shape of my life. My numbers from that period -- according to that site -- also qualified right at the low end of "overweight."

According to that "calculator" Aaron Rodgers -- 6-2, 225 -- is at the high end of "overweight."

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Anyone who has ever lifted weights is overweight by that calculator.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well done.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Medium rare.

Too chewy otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted