1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obesity's death toll could be higher than believed, study says

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 16, 2013.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Christ man have a sandwich!

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I just looked up my BMI from when I dropped 50 lbs a few years ago. Right around yours, and I was in absurdly good shape then with no flab. To get to "normal BMI," I'd have to get to 175--another 15 or 20 lbs lighter than what I was at my "peak" condition.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I did the dunk test awhile back and it determined that my ideal weight was 220.

According to the BMI calculator my normal weight should be between 145 and 200.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

5. Mizzougrad96

By BMI's standards, 22.5 is supposed to be the ideal, so you're doing pretty well...

6. amraeder

I'm kind of in BMI's sweet spot. I'm fit, but not overly muscular.

7. Mizzougrad96

I would have to be 6-3, 180 to be in the sweet spot.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The best I have ever been on BMI was 23.5. I was in my late 30s, running 5-6x a week, lifting weights 2x a week, my per-mile times on long runs were down near the 7-minute range, I had stopped drinking for about four months and then when I started drinking again it was only sporadically (like two drinks a week max) ... and I took a week off for vacation and I was back over 25. It's an insanely stupid measure that does more harm than good to the cause of weight loss and health.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

19.4 - I'd love to be able to gain weight, though.

10. Mizzougrad96

I've told the story here before, but about a decade ago I went to the doctor and he casually mentioned that I was probably 5-10 pounds above my ideal weight. I weighed 225 at the time and had assumed that I was 40-45 pounds overweight, because my asshole father (a physician) always used BMI as the benchmark for weight.

My doctor told me about the dunk test and I did it and they told me my ideal weight was 220. I was ecstatic.

11. amraeder

What's the dunk test?

12. Mizzougrad96

It determines how much muscle mass you have and what your fat percentage is. It's the best way to determine what your ideal weight should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted