1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's bullet-proof glass walls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Nov 7, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Bulletproof" seems fairly generic to me, Mr. K., and I'd therefore assume the Secret Service to indeed be the source.

"Bulletproof" to what caliber and from what range would constitute dangerous detail to me. Or how high the shields, or their composition and orientation. Are they even really "bulletproof" - or are they intended as blast deflectors to guard against an explosion in the crowd? Or to shield the new First Family from hurled rotten fruit?

I guess my point is that "bulletproof" is a harmless attribute to assign to those panels, especially once we've seen them. But I didn't see or hear a single story in advance of that event that detailed in any way what security measures were going to be taken that night. Which is why we were all a little surprised to see the panels for the first time when the President-Elect walked out.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I think there was mention of the glass in a caption of at least one paper in Chicago. I haven't read everything. But it was obvious on TV. Was it mentioned by any commentator before or after the speech. Not that I heard, but I was flipping between several channels.
    Beforehand, all I heard was, "Security is very tight." That's generally all you hear.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

we already know of one pact to kill 88 along with obama. i'm guessing there are several more skinhead/nazi types out there with plans.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Without a doubt.

Go, Secret Service, go. Do your thing.

5. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

This was the answer I was waiting for. This is absolutely correct. As someone who has covered a couple of presidential drop-ins, I say good luck getting anyone to tell you anything beforehand about anything related to presidential security. Hell, you can't even find out what he's going to eat for dinner.

The Secret Service don't play around. They're not going to tell you squat.

As for the walls, no offense, but duh. You don't have to have a vivid imagination to figure out why security might be even more precautionary for Mr. Obama than for past presidents-elect. And be sure, the SS doesn't want a dead president-elect on its hands, especially the first non-white one.

As for the media coverage: You're covering the victory speech of the first mixed-American president. The walls might be worthy of a mention somewhere, especially in terms of color, but as a reporter it wouldn't be my top priority.

6. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Here you go, Mr. Kindred:

The Chronicle had a pretty good story on election day.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/04/MNKO13T5GJ.DTL

From State Street to Lake Michigan, from the South Side to the Loop, the famed Windy City is bracing for something really big today - no matter how Election 2008 turns out.

In Grant Park, ringed by a jeweled necklace of trees turning autumn colors, armies of security officials, police and workers were at work Monday for what this town hopes will be a mega-victory celebration for Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, the former community organizer whose roots run deep here.

The event is expected to attract possibly a million residents to a city celebrated for its vibrant African American culture, in part because of the potential for history in the making - the possible election of the nation's first African American president.

The extra cops, set-up, security, transportation and overtime will cost ChiTown an estimated $2 million, though the Obama campaign said it is picking up the tab.

But there are also signs that the city is preparing for tougher stuff with the kind of security usually seen in this sports-crazy town at mega-events like the Super Bowl and the World Series.

On Monday morning, teams of workers erected a wall of thick, bulletproof glass around the podium where Obama will address the crowd on election night. The speaker's platform in the Hutchinson Field area of the huge public park is within sight of thousands of windows in the downtown region. For security reasons, photographers on scene were forbidden to take photos of the site until Tuesday morning.

About 70,000 residents, out of the hordes who applied, are expected to have gotten e-mails Monday giving them the golden tickets needed to get to the area near Obama's address.

But Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has predicted that hundreds of thousands more could descend on the downtown to be part of the scene.

That means the city's popular watering holes, like High Dive Moonshine, are preparing for election night parties to welcome the overflow. The 1st Ward Young Democrats expect to crowd Moonshine for a chance to watch the moment on TV together - as they try out the new $3 "Change" brew - a special American Harvest beer release created for the occasion.
    Win or lose

Indeed, Chicago is getting ready for the onslaught - win or lose.

The city has ordered all firefighters, even off-duty ones, to go home Monday with their safety gear in tow - helmets, oxygen tanks and other apparatus - in case they will be required to respond to immediate emergencies.

Leave has been canceled for all Chicago cops, and some have been assigned to polling places that promise to be particularly busy.

Businesses in the immediate area of downtown have been asked to send their workers home at 3 p.m. to help control gridlock as streets close.
    Police ready

Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis told the Associated Press that the city's police force is ready and prepared for response.

"I'm extraordinarily confident that we can keep Sen. Obama safe, that we can keep the citizens of Chicago safe and that we can keep the neighborhoods safe.

"We always prepare for the worst and hope for the best," he said.

Still, nerves might be a little frayed with the recent revelations that two white supremacists had been nabbed for allegedly plotting to kill Obama and a number of other African Americans.

Jerry Kellman, the Chicago community organizer who urged Obama to move from New York to Chicago and became an early mentor of his here, said that Chicagoans are proud - and ready - for a special night and hope the city will be the setting for a historic moment that appeals to the best in all Americans.

"At this point in history, we have to trust the Secret Service, the professionals who do that job to keep Barack safe," he said. "There's no question that the political rhetoric has been really irresponsible," he said, adding that it could cause some to act up or act out in some way, though not necessarily life-threatening.

"You stir this stuff up, in Bosnia or anywhere, and it's bad for civility and public life," he said.
    Danger is a given

Tony West, the Oakland attorney and longtime Obama friend and fundraiser, said that anyone who runs for the nation's highest office understands that there are dangers to be dealt with - especially in an election this hard-fought.

He's confident that whatever happens today, Chicago - and Obama- will be just fine.

"The fact is, he's got the best protection in the world ... this has been a very intense campaign, and we've had unprecedented participation by people who have never been interested or involved before.

"And that will involve a lot of feeling," he said.

Hilary Shelton, the director of the NAACP's Washington, D.C., bureau, told the AP, "We've unfortunately seen there's a few fringe people who want to create havoc, so it makes sense to have extra security ... the flip side's that any heavy-handed presence of law enforcement at polls could be intimidating."

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is no way the Secret Service is the source. An event organizer or even someone in Obama's camp would be much more likely.

I cannot emphasize enough that I don't think Obama is doing anything wrong. I don't care if he gives all of his speeches in armor, if that's what it takes to keep him safe, do it...

I'd be curious to see how many appearances he makes during his first term compared to someone like Clinton or Reagan. I seem to remember Clinton doing quite a few and I don't think all were "campaign" stuff.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

we all remember how bill liked to pound him some flesh.

9. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Thanks, Paper. That never showed up on Nexis.
    My point in all this was not to suggest there was some kind of Secret Service ban on reporting the glass. Clearly there was not, and there could not be with the walls in plain sight. As I said, Time had it in its lede. I just couldn't figure out why foreign newspapers reported it and American papers didn't. Seems it was simply a failure in elementary reporting.

10. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

How many speeches/appearances like this have there been at night?

There were thousands upon thousands of people there in a wide open space.

That had to be one of the most difficult assignments the security teams have ever dealt with.

The man is going to be a target every day he is in office.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It would really be news if the glass wasn't bulletproof. I think it's safe to say that's implied. ;)

As a kid, shortly after Reagan was shot, I remember watching him give a speech and my parents were remarking that he was wearing a bullet-proof vest. Since they're a lot harder to notice these days, I wonder how often they wear them.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Small update: We still don't know what exactly might be built into the new Limo One (although we do now know that it's a stretched Cadillac DTS body on top of a GMC Topkicktruck frame, which means it has a big honkin' engine and they can throw all sorts of armor and God-only-knows-what under the pretty sheet metal) ...

... but we know damn well what defensive countermeasures are built into the GMC Yukon XL that rides with it. Meet the presidential Gatling gun. I suspect the Secret Service actually wants people to see that in a go-ahead-and-try-it-sucker sort of way.

Draft saved Draft deleted