1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's Brother in Kenya Says He Was Raised Muslim

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

[​IMG]

This.

Oh wait...

You said "Muslim" dress? Sorry...thought you said "Muslin" dress. My bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

First is his childhood background. Last November, his campaign website carried a statement with the headline:

Barack Obama Is Not and Has Never Been a Muslim
    followed by

Obama never prayed in a mosque. He has never been a Muslim, was not raised a Muslim, and is a committed Christian.

Obama has also said:

I've always been a Christian

and

I've never practised Islam.
    But none of this is true. As is explored in detail on Daniel Pipes's website, Obama was enrolled at his primary schools in Indonesia as a Muslim; he attended the mosque during that period; his friends from that time testify that he was a devout Muslim boy. A former teacher at one of these schools, Tine Hahiyary, remembers a young Obama who was quite religious and actively took part in "mengaji" classes which teach how to read the Koran in Arabic. The blogger from Indonesia who reported this commented:

"Mengagi" is a word and a term that is accorded the highest value and status in the mindset of fundamentalist societies here in Southeast Asia. To put it quite simply, "mengaji classes" are not something that a non practicing or so-called moderate Muslim family would ever send their child to... The fact that Obama had attended mengaji classes is well known in Indonesia and has left many there wondering just when Obama is going to come out of the closet.

His father was a Muslim, as was his stepfather. His grandfather was a Muslim convert. His wider family appear to have been largely devout Muslims. Yes, we only know about Obama?s early years as a Muslim; and yes, twenty years ago he became a Christian. The issue, however, is why he has been less than candid about his early background and his family. Indeed, he appears to have actively deceived the public about it. That is why the blogosphere is so exercised about it.

Now here's another curious thing. Much has been made of his membership of the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago whose former pastor and his long-standing mentor, Jeremiah Wright, Obama was forced finally to renounce on account of his obnoxious views. But according to a passing reference in a profile in The New Republic last year, Pastor Wright was himself a Muslim convert to Christianity. He seems to have moved at the time from being a Muslim black power fanatic to a Christian black power fanatic -- which might go some way to explaining his close affinity to the Muslim black power ideologue Louis Farrakhan.

Then there is also Obama's troubling support for the Kenyan opposition leader -- and his cousin -- Raila Odinga, the leader of the violent uprising a few months ago against the newly elected Kenyan government and who signed a memorandum of understanding with Kenyan Muslims to turn Kenya into an Islamic state governed by sharia law. At the time, the Evangelical Alliance of Kenya released a statement in which church leaders said Odinga
    comes across as a presumptive Muslim president bent on forcing Islamic law, religion and culture down the throats of the Kenyan people in total disregard of the Constitutionally guaranteed rights of freedom of worship and equal protection of the law for all Kenyans.
    As the Atlas Shrugs site reported, Obama actually went to Kenya in 2006 and spoke at rallies in support of Odinga, causing the Kenyan government to denounce him as "Raila's stooge". Why was Obama supporting such a person? Why has no-one bothered to find out?

Daniel Pipes makes another highly significant point about Obama's Muslim background. He points out that, in the eyes of the Muslim world, Obama remains a Muslim regardless of what religion he now professes because he was born to a Muslim father. By his own admission (of Christianity) therefore, he is a Muslim apostate -- a status regarded by the Muslim world as a sin to be punished by death. Pipes thinks this would put his life in danger and undermine his initiatives towards the Muslim world. But surely the more significant point is that much of that Muslim world has actually embraced him. Indeed the Muslim Brothers of Hamas -- who most certainly would regard any Muslim apostate as someone to be eliminated -- actually came out publicly in support of him (until Obama blotted his copybook by professing undying support for Israel).

We are entitled therefore to ask whether the Muslim world supports him because it believes he is still a Muslim. We are entitled to ask precisely when he stopped being a Muslim, and why. Did Obama embrace Christianity as a tactical manoeuvre to get himself elected? Why indeed has he dissembled about his family background if not for that end?

These multiple known deceptions by someone who may become President of the United States are deeply alarming. The concealment is the issue. To dismiss such concerns and the related questions they provoke as a smear campaign is to attempt to browbeat into silence those who legitimately raise them and require urgent answers as a matter of the most acute public interest.

http://web.israelinsider.com/views/12917.htm

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

D_B, your arms are going to get tired from carrying all that water for the GOP.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

McCain will use this, and many more to come, to pave his way to the Oval Office.

How sickening that will be for Democrats who had this election gift-wrapped for them by George W. Bush. How many early candidates were there? And the process of elimination leads you to this man?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why did you put a false headline on your thread?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It appears we have a concern troll in our midst. I'm perfectly content with Obama as the nominee. I voted for him in 2004 for Senate, and I'll vote for him in November. So it doesn't sicken me at all.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's true!!!

And when you go to a toga party in college, you automatically become a worshipper of Zeus!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm waiting for one . . . a single . . . just ONE legitimate, seasoned news organization to run with this story.

I'm not holding my breath.

If it winds up having legs, fine . . . but I'll need much more than rumormouthings from mini-sites with axes to grind.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't care so much if he's Muslim, I care that he is potentially lying about the whole situation.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Ben, what worries much so much more is that people like this guy above will actually use that sort of reasoning as they cast their vote.

Scribe...if Obama loses the election because of things like this, the country is in much worse shape than any of us could possibly imagine.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh. My. God. It's fucking Deep_Background. If you're giving this story any credence, you shouldn't be allowed to procreate, let alone vote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.