1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

Statement from Oslo. No link just yet, moved just minutes ago. Some times you just can't do no wrong.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I saw a headline on cnn.com. What a fucking joke. Even if you voted for the guy and have a Zekelike crush on the man, you can't possible believe he deserves the Nobel Peace Prize. He hasn't even been president for nine months. Of course, maybe he won the little-known community organizer division. Not as if this award hadn't become a politically loaded joke, but it's certainly jumped the shark now.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, my reaction was "YGBFKM," too.

What tangible results, through "extraordinary" or even ordinary efforts, has Obama helped to produce in his brief time on the international stage? I'd like to see an explanation of exactly what the Nobel panel is rewarding him for, not that vague description posted above.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Wow.

Just wow.

Like YGBFKM said, he's been president for only nine months. He hasn't been in office long enough to accomplish what I would consider "Nobel Peace Prize Worthy."

Nothing against Obama, but I don't think I will ever be able to hold the Nobel Peace Prize in any sort of esteem ever again.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Here's more detail: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/10/09/nobel-peace-prize-obama.html

What a joke.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

From the AP story:

The deadline was Feb. 1??? He'd been in office less than two weeks!!!

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Here is a link. Did not know he was the third sitting president to win. Wilson I can see, but Roosevelt? I guess it was the "Walk softly and carry a big stick" philosophy.

I'm in the camp that he's only been in office for 9 months and hasn't had time to establish any big peace initiatives. I guess if the committee argues for his efforts to reduce nuclear proliferation maybe? The teaming up against Iran?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aHJwK9iL4ZAw

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yikes. I'm guessing the person who most wishes this didn't happen resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is an absolutely disastrous selection.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Agree with the above sentiments. I realize the Nobel committee uses the award not just to recognize accomplishments, but to encourage and promote efforts. But still - this is a bit much.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Henry Kissinger says: What? What?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, this came from outta nowhere. An "I shit you not" moment for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted