1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama -Warrior In Chief

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 30, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

With "spike the football" becoming a meme, we have officially entered the phase of the campaign where I get annoyed by the incessant and poor sports metaphors.

Obama will next be criticized for smiling in the presence of a white woman.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

St. Barack of Abbottabad?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hardly, but at least an interesting counterpoint to the tabloids' "end zone dance" conventions.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama can't answer the 3AM phone call! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football! Obama's spiking the football!

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose the test will be if Obama talks about killing bin Laden as a regular part of his campaign, and in response to questions, or if he uses it "to avoid politics—as a substitute for engaging with other issues."

I think he's getting dangerously close to the latter, and thus earning the monicker.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

E.g.,

CNN: "Mr. President, what about global warming?"

President: "I'm proud to say that Osama bin Laden's carbon footprint is now 0."

Fox: "Mr. President, recent polling figures suggest a weakening of your base."

President: "You know who has some really low approval figures these days? Osama bin Laden."

CBS: "Mr. President, we'd like . . ."

President: "I'll let you finish in a moment, but whatever happened to that deck of bad guy playing cards? Did we ever get the Jack of Clubs? The seven of hearts? Those were some bad dudes. Not half as bad as Osama bin Laden, though."

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One thing both conservatives and liberals seem to forget is that during his 2008 campaign, Obama said very plainly that he would ramp up Afghanistan -- and even go into Pakistan -- to fight Bin Laden and al-Qaeda. He was not an anti-war candidate.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Forget? No. Selectively ignore? More likely.

9. Have to laugh at some of the people who constantly complained / joked that Rudy Giuliani could make a speech without mentioning 9/11 are same ones who take offense at idea Obama is somehow "spiking the football".

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Have to laugh at the people mocking Obama for "spiking the football", given that they're by and large the supporters of Captain Flightsuit.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Mom, but he did it first!

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed - selectively ignore. Obama got a pass from the liberals that Bush did not get.

Personally I am glad that Obama continued and even improved upon the Bush strategy.

In the end what is ironic is that the Neo Cons have won.

Draft saved Draft deleted