1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama -Warrior In Chief

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 30, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's from his Nobel Peace Prize speech, right?

FYI, I thought the piece did a great job in articulating the intelligent, effective and efficient way the Obama administration has reshaped our military/defense strategy:

Liberals helped to elect Barack Obama in part because of his opposition to the Iraq war, and probably don’t celebrate all of the president’s many military accomplishments. But they are sizable.

Mr. Obama decimated Al Qaeda’s leadership. He overthrew the Libyan dictator. He ramped up drone attacks in Pakistan, waged effective covert wars in Yemen and Somalia and authorized a threefold increase in the number of American troops in Afghanistan. He became the first president to authorize the assassination of a United States citizen, Anwar al-Awlaki, who was born in New Mexico and played an operational role in Al Qaeda, and was killed in an American drone strike in Yemen. And, of course, Mr. Obama ordered and oversaw the Navy SEAL raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I think the Libyan strategy alone ought be a course in modern foreign policy and military force used well.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes, from the Noble Prize speech.

Agree on the article. One of the best I've read. Balanced and supported by facts.

What was presented as a possible weakness of an Obama Presidency clearly has been one of his strengths.

It's also probably the key reason that he will be reelected.

4. Boom_70

Agree - Sarcozy put together a great strategy.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Interesting use of the passive voice, Boom.

Who "presented" foreign policy as a weakness of the potential Obama administration?

6. Boom_70

Zeke I am surprised that you would have to ask since you were so involved in his election to office.

For one I recall Hillary raising the now famous "3am" phone call. I'm sure there were others also.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

So you're surprised a political attack ad didn't turn out to be true?

Oh, my naive little boomlet.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, I'm sure the GOP would have loved to have been able to position Obama as "soft on defense" in this election cycle but the fact is that his record in this area has been nothing short of outstanding. And, no, I'm not concerned about killing a US citizen in the process.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Me, either.

Not concerned with Bradley Manning, either.

10. Boom_70

I guess the only thing I am surprised at is that liberals are giving Obama a pass since he is doing many of the same things that they were so critical of George Bush doing.

In some cases it's George Bush policies on steroids. Mind you not a criticism of Obama on my part but merely an observation.

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Of course, specifics elude you at this point in discussion.

Compare our involvement in Iraq and our involvement in Libya. If you miss the distinction, more's the pity.

Glad to hear you're voting Obama, though.

12. Boom_70

As far as my understanding our involvement in Libya was very limited. It was The French who took on Libya.

You of course might be privy to some inside detail that I am not aware of.

Draft saved Draft deleted